Year old guineas any good for eatin?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by TheMatador, May 17, 2010.

1. TheMatador

TheMatador Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2009
    Upstate, NY
    I'm done with guineas. They're evil. The terrorize the chickens, have a Maran rooster picked almost bald and are generally a downer on my otherwise happy flock. They wont go into the coop and let me lock up and relax for the evening until its almost pitch black out. I'm done.

I have 3 that are a bit over a year old and am considering sending them to freezer camp. Anyone know if they'll be any good? Had someone tell me that they will be tough and gamey. Tough is OK, gamey not so much. Will the high levels of evil in them effect the taste?

I wont kill them and not eat then do the alternative is to find someone who wants a few around for tick control and rehome them.

Also, any special considerations to killing/processing a guinea as opposed to a chicken?

2. Chicken411

Chicken411 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Mountain West
    Quote:I don't have any answers to your questions, but that is funny! They must be pretty bad birds [​IMG] I would think the evil might make them taste a little rancid. [​IMG] Yeah, I'm a dork. Good luck, i'll be watching this thread to see what happens to your stinkin' guineas.

3. Chicken411

Chicken411 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Mountain West
    [​IMG] Bump

4. chickenwhisperer

chickenwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Chicken Country, U S A
    I would eat them . . .

5. hawtchick

hawtchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    New Hampshire
    We raised guineas for years and honestly lost all but one to predators.
    They are definitely different than chickens....personality wise.
    We never ate them, but I have heard they are more of a dark meat bird, and maybe a bit gamey.....

Sometimes I have to say I do miss them...they were far less disctructive to our yard than chickens but they were just so darn LOUD!!! ugh!
    Good luck!![​IMG]

6. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I have it on good counsel from my sister-in-law that it makes the best gumbo you ever put in your mouth.

7. TheMatador

TheMatador Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2009
    Upstate, NY
    I'm now on the fence about the guinea situation. The other night I looked out back to see what all the noise was about and the three guineas were wing to wing, closing in on a big grey fox. They were fearless in defending their yard and chicken friends and I was truly impressed.

They then flew into the trees outside my 3 month old's window and made the worst racket they ever have until long after sundown. This is not typical but they must have been very agitated and perhaps the fox was back after dark.

Last night I once again looked out back to see the fox with a chicken in his jaws I ran full tilt into the back yard, barefoot, through nettles and tweaked the knee that has been recovering from a running injury. Fox dropped the chicken and she was fine. The brave guineas were nowhere to be found. They were off ranging two fields away and of no help at all. They came back eventually and made a terrible racket into the evening.

SO it seems they've done just enough for me to consider keeping them around but they have certainly not yet demonstrated that they are necessary. What to do, what to do.........

8. hawtchick

hawtchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I love this visual. Maybe they ARE worth keeping for now. Predators suck!!!

9. Jplejeune

Jplejeune Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    Eunice
    To the Matador\\

Yes guineas are very good eating. Way better than chicken actually. They are a dark meat though. If you can handle that then you will love them. I live in southern louisiana and we can find a way to cook just about anything, but around here a cleaned and cut up guinea sells from 20 to 25 dollars if you can find them. My favorite way to eat it is guinea gumbo. I have 3 extra males in the yard now that dont know it but their time is almost up. If you need a gumbo recipe i will be happy to supply it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by