1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

year old healthy hens suddenly dying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by janeinboise, May 15, 2013.

1. janeinboise

janeinboise Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2009
    We've lost 2 hens the past two days and another sick today. Not a mark on them, appear healthy one day, the next day they're ill and by night they're dead. Comb gets pale, breathing appears labored, don't appear to be egg bound. Bodies are not puffy, don't seem to have a full crop. No chemicals or other substances in the yard. Food has not been altered... water is clean. These are all banties, different breeds and have been a happy little flock for about a year. The two full size hens seem to be immune, at least for now. Any ideas would be most appreciated. Our flock of six is down to 3 healthy and 1 ill. At this rate by the end of the week we'll be down to 0.

2. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    I am no expert but hopefully a bump will help someone else see this.

Have they ever been wormed? Don't know if that would be it. There are so many possibilities.

3. janeinboise

Dec 30, 2009
    Never been wormed, but poo looks normal, not seeing anything unusual. Vents appear normal and healthy. That's why we're so stumped. So I just checked the ill chicken, and her crop is full...so not digesting properly? How can I help her...I've gotten her to eat some cooked egg and take a bit of water...vent looks fine.

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  4. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Sorry I have no other ideas either. I know some worms are microscopic but usually poo is an indicator too. Hopefully someone else with more ideas will chime in.

you might google or search here for poultry respritory infections since labored breathing is one of the symptoms.[​IMG]

Good luck.[​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Visually inspect them for lice/mites, especially check around their vent area.

6. janeinboise

Dec 30, 2009
    Did the lice/mites check - I don't see anything. Except for faded comb, they look completely normal. Have isolated the ill one and she seems to be perking up...not excited about eating or drinking though I was able to get a bit down her. Her crop still feels pretty full but she did poop once. Have added electrolyte to her water.

7. christybmom9802

christybmom9802 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2012
    Chesterton, Indiana
    I have the same thing going on here. Had one die on mothers day....in the nest for a long time, comb changed color, looked sleepy then died. Now I have a silkie that is very weak on not eating...its day 3 for her. Some said it could be coccidoisis so I have been treating with corid in the water (day 3). silkie perked up yesterday but is now worse today. Getting really worried she can't even hold her head up. As a ditch attempt I went and purchased some Tylan 50 antibiotic that I read on here help with certain things and since I have no clue what this is can't hurt before she dies.

8. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Dust for mites and lice even if you cannot see the, I'd be willing to bet that they have some. If you're curious, dust one, put it in a cardboard box on white paper towels, cover the box and come back in 30-45 minutes, you'll usually see some bugs.

Use poultry dust, not DE.

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  9. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Get some gloves, ky Jelly and check her vent for an egg or mass.

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  10. bobwhitechicks

bobwhitechicks New Egg

May 15, 2013
    hmmmmmmm, I'm no expert but I do research every day. I think you should get the ones that are alive under a heat light for awhile until you think their alright. have healthier food if you have unhealthy food. give them room temperature water to hydrate them, check on them every day, and separate them if you have to. the chicken could be pecking each other or worse.maybe some ticks or lice could be it. I hope this helps!! good luck!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

( I'm talking about chickens) my status says bobwhite chicks 'cause I raise them too.

Last edited: May 15, 2013
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by