Year old hen startng to produce smaller eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by messianicmom, Jul 9, 2010.

1. messianicmom

messianicmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2009
    One of my Buff O Hens, who used to make nice sized eggs, has started producing really little ones.

Any ideas on why? She's also really aggerssive with others in the nesting box if she wants in, she'll run them out and if that one that
    she ran out layed an egg she'll peck it (the hen and the egg)

Rachel

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Could she be going broody?? Or possibly molting...

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Make sure she is getting plenty of water, especially now that it's summer.

4. messianicmom

messianicmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2009
    I think the broody part fits and we've started putting ice cubes in their water now. Yesterday she laid 3-4 normal sized eggs and was justa settin' most od the day, until my son took them out from under her.
    So that happens before broodiness?

Rachel

5. allmypeeps

allmypeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Maine
    Hens can act very strangely while going broody- my light brahma was just broody for 2 months...she would not get off the nest despite there being no eggs...I'd have to pick her up and set her in front of the water and then she'd drink like a fish and then take the biggest poop I ever seen in my life I had to go shovel it away because it smelled like a cow patty!!!

The whole time she is out doors she ruffles her feathers and lets out bizare squealing squawks and does odd things like try and dust bath in her food and scratch at her water bowl....then she's back too the nest box to sit on air. so weird!

Also she didnt lay for those two months, and when she stopped the broodyness and finally laid one it was a rather deformedly shaped.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by