year old hen with hernia

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by teachermom24, May 21, 2010.

1. teachermom24

teachermom24 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2009
    I just noticed today what I have deciphered from reading here that our year old hen, Goldie, has an enormous hernia. My kids said they noticed it quite some time ago so I'm not sure how long she's had it. It is the size of a very large egg--in fact, when I first noticed it, I thought she was trying to lay an egg [​IMG]. It has a large scab in one area that seems to be healing all right. Is there anything I can/should do for her? She's our first at-home hatchling and a beloved family pet. She lays almost every day.

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Where is the hernia located? Could it be an infection - with the scab I wonder?

Any chance you can take and post a picture?

3. teachermom24

teachermom24 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2009
    It hangs between her legs, that's why at first look I thought she had a spare egg in there--it is about that size. When I thought it was a prolapse (before I studied up on chicken anatomy) I palpated it quite a bit and she didn't object much so I don't think it's an infection. It does seem to match with what I've read here about a hernia. It is so large, I think it may have scraped on something causing the sore.

4. workaholic90

workaholic90 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2013
    my pullet has the same thing. She is about 10 weeks now and the vet said it's a hernia. She just stands around all day (rarely sits, i am guessing bc of the hernia) do you think we need to put her down bc we don't want her suffering. Also, if you are going to say something like, "it's just a chicken" yada yada then please don't respond.
    I attached a pic of how she pretty much stands around all day.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by