year old hens suddenly not roosting at night??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LilChickenMomma, Jan 17, 2013.

1. LilChickenMomma

LilChickenMomma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2012
    Brevard County, Fl
    My girls (6 of them, all RIR's) are about a year old now and have been very healthy. They are eating, drinking and pooping normally but don't seem to be roosting at night... they were all huddled in a corner last night (They aren't cold, I'm in Fl and it was like 70-something last night)... They are laying well, same as usual, no changes.

We DO have new neighbors that keep their backyard flood lights on all night, but would that cause this?

What could cause this? Is this normal? Should I be concerned?

We checked their feathers for mites or anything of that sort and didn't see anything. Help please and thank you?!?!

2. bloonskiller911

bloonskiller911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2012
    Brookville, Indiana
    something may have scared them off of their roost. i put them up on the roost at night and see if this rights things.

3. 20130207536880

20130207536880 New Egg

Jan 15, 2013
    Have you checked their housing for signs of Red Mite? The mite is about 1mm in size and typically rests in cracks and crevices of the chicken coop during the day. At night they will crawl on the bird at night to feed by sucking blood. Look at the ends of the perch or along crevices in the house and if you have a Red Mite Infestation you'll see a pale grey powder residue or the mites themselves (appearing blood red in colour when full).

This link will give you further information http://www.chicken-house.co.uk/acatalog/about_red_mite.pdf

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by