Year Old Maran With Swollen Eyes and Comb No Discharge. Help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CornerViewFarm, Aug 12, 2014.

1. CornerViewFarm

CornerViewFarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2008
    Ohio
    I have a year old maran hen with a swollen comb and both eyes are swollen shut. She does not have any discharge or sneezing so that rules out respiratory for me am I wrong? It happen over night, I have not brought in any new birds lately. Possibly a sting or bite of some sort? None of my other birds have this problem. Please help!

2. CornerViewFarm

Apr 5, 2008
    Ohio
    Anyone?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It certainly could be from a sting or even a snakebite, but it may not rule out a respiratory disease. Is there any foam in the eyes or chest rattles? Do you have any pictures? You could give a 1/2 benadryl tablet twice daily for a couple of doses to see if the swelling goes down. Here is a list of common diseases that you can read about--MG, coryza, and fowl cholera would be ones to read about: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

4. CornerViewFarm

Apr 5, 2008
    Ohio
    Thank you, that helped a bunch! The hen I was talking about it back to normal but now I have another with it. I know its not just a sting now. Is there any injectables I can use? I cannot use Dutvet Duramycin 72-200MG from what I hear. Is that true?

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you have a picture of her? A swollen comb sounds unusual except for avian influenza. Are you sure that the comb is swollen, and not the wattles? Tylan 50 injection is very good for treating a respiratory disease. Dosage is 1/2 ml for chicken under 5 lb, 1 ml for chickens over 5 lb, and 1/4 ml for bantams. Give it daily for 3-5 days. Oxytetracycline also comes in injectable and powder for the water. Duramycin10 is used by a lot of people

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Have you spotted any yellow jacket nests in the ground around your chicken yard? Two years ago we had about 5 of them in our free ranging area, and fortunately none was stung. Do you notice any spots where there could have been a sting? Has there been any development in respiratory symptoms since you first posted?

7. CornerViewFarm

Apr 5, 2008
    Ohio
    I will get some pictures tomorrow. No respiratory i'm normally pretty good with these situations but this one has me stumped.

It lasts for 2 days tops then the hen is back to normal. No sneezing, Coughing, Discharge from the nostrils. Left or right eye will swell then the next. Comb will swell then the waddles. Then its gone in no time like nothing ever happen. I have not seen any bees or anything around for months. It is very very strange to me.

I have used tetroxy in the past to treat many different things. Seems to be almost universal and treat almost anything. No one around me carries poultry meds not even tsc or any local feed stores all have to be ordered in so I guess ill hope for the best the next few days and order the tetroxy tonight so I can treat the whole flock.

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm in southern Ohio, and we have had bees out for a couple of months, and the yellow jackets are always bad around this time through September. Two days of swelling without other symptoms definitely sounds like a sting or allergic reaction. Hope you can figure it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by