Year old Rooster acting strange

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ZepChick, Mar 1, 2009.

1. ZepChick

ZepChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    coos bay OR
    My year old EE rooster, Mika, has been acting strange. He lives seperately from the hens and has fresh food and water 24/7.

Every day, he is let out to run around with the girls under supervision. We throw out treats for the flock, but Mika never really ran for the food, until recently. Lately he will be somewhat aggressive in 'figghting' for food. If a girl gets the food, Mika will chase the hen around and try to steal the food from her. He also walks up to me and even jumps for treats. (Which he has never done before) I think the reason for this is that he hasn't been eating the food in his pen. Every night the amount of food is the same.
    And he also hasn't been drinking the water in the pen, so when we let him out, he runs for water elsewhere.
    His poop his bright green. I know that he knows where his food/water are because I have shown him at least three times where it is.

Could this be a sign of worms? What should I do for him? He has not been wormed as we have never had any reason to worm him. Any help at all is greatly appreciated as Mika is a very beloved pet. Thank you

~Cass

2. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    That is very strange and not good that he is not eating his food or drinking. Make sure it is fresh and not moldy. I would not worm him until you have a fecal float done and know exactly if and what he might have so you can get the correct medicine. Worming can be hard on him and you need to figure out what is going on. How does he feel when you pick him up? Is he light? Can you give him lots of treats so you make sure he is eating something? Is there anything else different about his behaviour?

3. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    He sounds very hungry, possibly starving, and that is what is changing his behavior.
    Try to figure out why he's not eating his own food:

did you change the brand lately? Is it stale? Is something else threatening him at his own food dish? Is his crop impacted? I'm guessing it's not worms if his food dish is never eaten-from. Clean out his dish and put new food in it that you feed the hens perhaps?

4. Chic Chick

Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    East Central Alberta
    Could it be that he's reached maturity and isn't with the hens all the time be the problem? Why don't you try leaving him with the hens and see if he starts eating and feeling better, because it sounds like he wants to eat when he's with the flock. Why are you keeping him to "supervised visits" with the hens anyway?

5. ZepChick

ZepChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    coos bay OR
    Okay, I will try to answer all of your questions-

When I pick him up, he feels normal. He does feel a little lighter than usual, but not by much.

Nothing else is different about his behavior than what I mentioned before. We have not changed the brand and the food is always fresh.

Nothing is threating him at his food dish and he eats the same feed that the girls do.

I don't think his crop feels impacted or sour, it feels normal.

Releasing him with the girls isn't an option because we don't want him mating with the hens. Our eggs are not fertilized and the reason we have him under "supervised visits" is because we want to keep our eggs like that. Also, the girls' backs are already torn up from the pecking order and it would only worsen if Mika was allowed to do what roosters do. And he was eating before in the same area he is in, so I don't think that it is because he wants to be with the hens.

Thank you everyone. I wiill try to feed him more treats.

~Cass

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sounds to me like he's not eating because he's segregated. A rooster lives to have a life with his hens. When he was younger it probably didn't matter as much, but if he's a year old he's mature enough to want to do what roosters do so well.
    Since there's no difference between fertilized and unfertilized eggs I'm not sure why you keep him apart.
    Some roosters mate without tearing up the hens back or with little damage at all. If the damage is excessive there's always saddles.

7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Green poo is a sign that nutrients aren't being absorbed, that would explain his hunger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by