years of unfollowed post need removed

Discussion in 'BYC Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements' started by behrable, Apr 17, 2012.

1. behrable

behrable Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2007
    bakersfield
    WHY ARE ALL THESE POST AND THREADS STILL ON THIS SITE ?
    SOME OF THE HAVE NOT BEEN LOOKED AT SINCE 2008 .
    cANT SOMETHING BE DONE TO GET RID OF ALL THIS USELESS INFO ... ?

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Same reason for not doing away with BYC users that signed up, never post or "dropped" from the face of earth or non existant. We have thousands of members signed up but almost never heard of or posted.

OK, lurkers, come out of your hiding and sign up! [​IMG]

3. Razor1616

Razor1616 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2012
    Bloomington
    All of those old posts are not full of useless info. I search things all the time and find what i need in old posts. They are a great cache of information.

~Nathan

1 person likes this.
  4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I agree with you Razor, some of the old time breeders or wealth of information worth looking into! And as for some, memories.

Purging the files and membership lists may not be a bad idea but I am guessing it would be too much time sorting thru all those threads, which one will stay and which one will get the ax. I think Nifty did mention why they would not do it a while back....maybe some one can refresh our memories why they would not do it.

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Some of the best information for problems I've had come from Ancient Threads. Just because they aren't active doesn't mean they aren't equally as useful as today's threads.

6. behrable

Jun 16, 2007
    bakersfield
    I agree of timers info is really helpful , but when u can't find it ., it does no one any good .

7. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Useless!?!?!?

[​IMG]

Thousands of people are reading, learning from, and using information posted back to 2007. Just because someone hasn't replied to it doesn't make it useless. In fact, it could be argued that some stuff is such perfect information, no other discussion is needed.

We will not be deleting old content and old members from the site. Both of these are valuable.

4 people like this.
  8. behrable

Jun 16, 2007
    bakersfield
    Thank u rob that was the answer I needed , explains a lot more..

9. Indigosands

Indigosands Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2012
    Yucca Valley, CA
    Yep, me.. another newbie who has been researching the breeds I've been adding to my new flock. A few of the threads I've looked at on Wyandottes and such were from 2008-2009. I didn't need to start a new thread to find that info, it was already there. Not to mention as a longtime member of a different board, it can get a little annoying to the older members to have to deal with the same common newbie questions over and over. It's much better and easier to point them to either stickied or old threads for that info than clog the boards with two or three threads a month asking the same question.

ETA... and I just noticed your join date, are you requesting your old posts removed? [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  10. AmyLM

AmyLM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2011
    Buckley washington
    I use those 'useless old posts' all the time as research. Just because its a few years old doesn't make it worthless. THIS post however.. I see no point in it at all.

btw.. THIS MEANS YOUR SHOUTING AND IT IS CONSIDERED TO BE VERY RUDE... so please loose the caps.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by