yeast like grey dust in chicken feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Gobblers Ridge, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Gobblers Ridge

Gobblers Ridge New Egg

Aug 16, 2011
    Hi new chicken friends! We have 6 buff orpingtons almost 2 months old. They are doing well and very social with me and my two daughters. I do have a question about the chicken feed..... I have noticed grey dust circles forming on top of the feed in the feeder. And it looks as though it is moving!! miroscopic and yeast like. Is the entire bucket infested?? should I pitch it and get new?? giving me the heebie jeebies too! [​IMG] Thanks for any assistance. Heather

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    It could be mold.

If you have room, put it in a freezer for a couple of days to kill lit

3. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    It sounds like grain mites to me. If it's mold, I'd throw it away or compost it. If it's grain mites, freezing it will kill them.

4. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Quote:I am willing to bet its grain mites also. Grab a handful and watch it closely you will see it moving if its mites. Give the sniff test too,it will have a unique odor.

5. Gobblers Ridge

Gobblers Ridge New Egg

Aug 16, 2011
    Thank You!! Will stick it in the freezer and see what happens. I do think it is mites as it moves....as I said 'heebie jeebies'!!!
    This is my first time on the forum and already I am impressed...and greatful for the advice.
    Hope I can return the favor!
    Heather, Charlotte, Georgia, and the chicken girls ShirleyFrancis, Banana, Hippie Chick, Hoppy, C-Fer, and Chicken Little.[​IMG]

6. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Hey, I didn't even notice that you were new. [​IMG] Stick around, I'm sure there are lots of folks you can help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by