Yeasty dog skin - has anyone been able to fix this?

thebritt

Songster
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Humboldt County
I've discussed Solomon's crappy skin before - we've changed his diet to a salmon based grain-free food, but his skin still stinks by the 2nd day after a bath. I wash him every 3 days with a shampoo by Equiss that's "guarenteed" to eliminate itchy, flaky, smelly skin, but after 2 days he smells like he hasn't had a bath in weeks. His fur gets oily that quickly as well, and he scratches till he gets scabs
sad.png
. Any other ideas? His feet and legs don't seem to get scabby, so I'm
fl.gif
he's not allergic to grass and such...
Thanks for any input - and Happy New Year!
Britt

There are so many things that could cause this but giving him a bath more so oftenwill dry his skin out then his skin will produce more oil and cause a smell also.

What kinda dog is Solomon?
How old is he?
Has he always had this problem?
Where does he sleep and on what?

Odd question, but have you tried adding some oil to the diet? When Thunder had his itchy skin (usually during winter and extreme summer) we'd give him about a teaspoon full of canola oil with his dog food. Seemed to do the trick, but other than giving some probiotics to help regulate the yeast on his skin, there's nothing much else I can think of.

By the way, thank you and Happy New Year to you too!

Well if it makes you feel any better I switched my collie to a grain free diet after reading your other thread and his skin seems to be doing a bit better, so he and I thank you.
smile.png
Have you had your pup looked at by a dermatologist? I wasted a lot of time with my regular vet and the dermatologist diagnosed the problem in 5 minutes.

It sounds like possibly a staph infection?? Among other places, staph is harbored in grass, and many times dogs that are thought to be allergic to grass are actually encountering staph in the grass. Hope you find the source and that you and your pup get relief soon.

If the dog truly has a yeast based skin infection then the only fix for it will be oral meds from the vet combined with a theraputic bath schedule. We use chlorhex shampoo mixed with ketachlor shampoo on client dogs with confirmed yeast infections in conjunction with oral meds prescribed by the vet. Good luck and best wishes for the pooch. The skin is the largest organ of the body and when it goes whacky its miserable for them

Quote:
If you switched to TOTW, that's still a high-carb food. It just replaces the grain with potatoes. You need to switch to a raw diet (best), home-cooked with no or minimal carbs (second best) or something that's genuinely low-carb (Orijen is my top choice). Right now the yeast is just feeding off the potato sugar like it did the grain sugar.

Quote:
If you switched to TOTW, that's still a high-carb food. It just replaces the grain with potatoes. You need to switch to a raw diet (best), home-cooked with no or minimal carbs (second best) or something that's genuinely low-carb (Orijen is my top choice). Right now the yeast is just feeding off the potato sugar like it did the grain sugar.

Interesting - thanks for that info Blacksheep.

I know EXACTLY what type of skin you are talking about. It is like "cradle cap" in a newborn infant. My old dog with it is getting a little better with Diamond Naturals food, but my vet has told me for years it is allergy based, most likely pollens since she is better in the winter and her nose starts running the minute spring hits and the trees start blooming and the grass starts growing.

Quote:

That's right. Fix the food. Raw is best for combating yeasties.

ProBios makes livestock potency probiotics powder, which is waaaaaay cheaper than the kind made "for dogs" and it's the exact same stuff. Directions on the package for dog dosages. Also you might look into making some of those homemade probiotic foods, there is a thread going called probiotics for you and your chickens. The "real" stuff has a lot more breeds/types of probiotics than the powder supplement does.

Besides yeast and food allergies, staph and environmental allergies are also possibilities.
My dog is raw fed, but gets spring/summer allergies from the grass. I use a spray on Rain-Rot(type of yeast infection) treatment for horses/dogs/goats that comes from the feed store, rather than frequent baths.

Have you ever tried Nu-Stock? I love that stuff! It is simply amazing and I've used it on various things here.

Has some great testimonials~check out the ones with pics!~ and I can add mine to it. Great stuff and I can get it for $10 a tube at my local feed store....it lasts quite a long time.

http://www.nustock.com/

Also, olive leaf extract for yeast infections....comes in capsules, taken orally, works wonders!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom