Yeasty people... Which one?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by needlessjunk, Nov 18, 2014.

1. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    So I know brews yeast it the one to get for ducks but what about nutritional yeast? I had to read up and it sounds like nutritional yeast has a good amount of niacin as well. So is there a difference? Niacin is the main reason to add brews yeast, correct?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
  3. smonkeySK

smonkeySK Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2013
    wigan uk
    Yep nutritional yeast is virtually the same as brewers yeast - I struggle to get brewers in the UK and found the nutritional stuff in a health shop.
    It's more expensive but worth it so you don't have to crush up vitamin tablets and worry about overdose.

4. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Great! I can buy both at my local grocery store but I needed nutritional yeast for a recipe. I can buy nutritional yeast in the bulk food section for less and both in the health food section. Do you always feed it to your ducks or do you discontinue it once they are adults. I did niacin tablets in water with my guys till they were 10 weeks and haven't done anything since.

5. smonkeySK

smonkeySK Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2013
    wigan uk
    Every now and then I'll give a little sprinkle but I don't think they really need it - there should be enough in the pellet food for adults but I don't use the yeast for me so I have to get rid of it somehow!
    It was too expensive to waste and I have no more room for more ducks so I won't be getting more ducklings!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by