Yee ha - Winter is here! Question about water

NHMountainMan

Free Ranging
Feb 25, 2019
New Hampshire
My Coop
My Coop
We were supposed to get light snow, but ended up with freezing rain and a thin coating of ice. I was looking forward to seeing how the chickens would react to snow cover (look like I'll need to wait until Monday now!). Yup - I'm a cold weather fan. Who doesn't love watching a puppy's first reaction to a white wonderland! Hopefully the chickens will entertain me the same way...

So - Water. I have a heated poultry waterer inside the coop (got to 12 degrees outside last night, but coop never dropped below 39 degrees.)
I also have a galvanized water tray in the run, and will swap daily.

The question: What temperature water do you give them? Do you add warm water, hot water? I brought out roughly room temp water this a.m. Hoping to hear what you all do?

Thanks

We're at the point where hoses don't work and faucets are shut down. All water is now coming from inside the house. So I could give them water anywhere from 55 degrees (well water temp) to 120 - from the water heater. The hotter the water, the long it'll take to freeze. Just wondering if anyone provided hot / warm water ?

It might be interesting to do an experiment and see how much longer hot water takes to freeze. It may not be as much of a benefit as you think. Of course you'd need to duplicate conditions.

I have a frost free spigot I use until it get down into the teens, then I carry water from the house. Whatever temperature it comes out is what they get. When I use the kitchen faucet I usually open both the hot and cold handles until the water starts to get hot. That's not to heat the water but to fill the bucket faster. Probably not an efficient thing to do since I'm paying to heat that water.

I'm in a different climate to you. When I was in Arkansas I used black rubber bowls to water the chickens. If it is in the sun the solar heating keeps it thawed reasonably well, some days down into the teens Fahrenheit. The sun does not shine at night, inside the coop, or on same days so I bang the ice out and refill. Since it's rubber I can do that without breaking it and the freezing water does not distort it.

Grow out Water.JPG

Enjoy your weather while I contemplate my 60 degree morning. It is forecast to get down in the 30's in a few days, hopefully not cold enough to frost. I moved south for a reason.

Back
Top Bottom