Yee ha - Winter is here! Question about water

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by NHMountainMan, Nov 8, 2019.

1. NHMountainMan

NHMountainMan Crowing

Feb 25, 2019
    New Hampshire
    My Coop
    We were supposed to get light snow, but ended up with freezing rain and a thin coating of ice. I was looking forward to seeing how the chickens would react to snow cover (look like I'll need to wait until Monday now!). Yup - I'm a cold weather fan. Who doesn't love watching a puppy's first reaction to a white wonderland! Hopefully the chickens will entertain me the same way...

So - Water. I have a heated poultry waterer inside the coop (got to 12 degrees outside last night, but coop never dropped below 39 degrees.)
    I also have a galvanized water tray in the run, and will swap daily.

The question: What temperature water do you give them? Do you add warm water, hot water? I brought out roughly room temp water this a.m. Hoping to hear what you all do?

Thanks

2. imnukensc

imnukensc Crowing

May 22, 2017
    SC Midlands
    Whatever the temp the water is that comes out of the hose is what mine get. Doesn't really matter because it's going to eventually get to whatever ambient temp is anyway unless it's heated and then it's still going to be cold.

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Crossing the Road

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Mine get water out of the hydrant, and in galvanized waterers on heated bases in winter. It's not warm, but unfrozen.
    Mary

4. NHMountainMan

NHMountainMan Crowing

Feb 25, 2019
    New Hampshire
    My Coop
    We're at the point where hoses don't work and faucets are shut down. All water is now coming from inside the house. So I could give them water anywhere from 55 degrees (well water temp) to 120 - from the water heater. The hotter the water, the long it'll take to freeze. Just wondering if anyone provided hot / warm water ?

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    It might be interesting to do an experiment and see how much longer hot water takes to freeze. It may not be as much of a benefit as you think. Of course you'd need to duplicate conditions.

I have a frost free spigot I use until it get down into the teens, then I carry water from the house. Whatever temperature it comes out is what they get. When I use the kitchen faucet I usually open both the hot and cold handles until the water starts to get hot. That's not to heat the water but to fill the bucket faster. Probably not an efficient thing to do since I'm paying to heat that water.

I'm in a different climate to you. When I was in Arkansas I used black rubber bowls to water the chickens. If it is in the sun the solar heating keeps it thawed reasonably well, some days down into the teens Fahrenheit. The sun does not shine at night, inside the coop, or on same days so I bang the ice out and refill. Since it's rubber I can do that without breaking it and the freezing water does not distort it.

Grow out Water.JPG

Enjoy your weather while I contemplate my 60 degree morning. It is forecast to get down in the 30's in a few days, hopefully not cold enough to frost. I moved south for a reason.

6. imnukensc

imnukensc Crowing

May 22, 2017
    SC Midlands
  7. jreardon1918

jreardon1918 Songster

Jul 13, 2016
    Southeast, MA
    My Coop
    We have a 5 gallon bucket. With a 250 watt stock tank heater in it. Just plugged it in this week. I bring a gallon of water every few days to top off the bucket. On very cold days (below 0F) I bring hot water. But that is more to make me feel good than the chickens.

8. CatWhisperer

CatWhisperer Crowing

Jun 16, 2013
    northwest Arkansas
    Hot water might freeze faster but this morning my chickens enjoyed it before that could happen.

9. NHMountainMan

NHMountainMan Crowing

Feb 25, 2019
    New Hampshire
    My Coop
  10. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Free Ranging

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    Don't know if this one has been proven to be true, but I've also read that hot water is more likely to leach chemicals from the plumbing pipes, so I only use cold/room temperature water for watering my animals.

50-45-1 and penny1960 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: