Yee Haa, My hens started laying eggs again.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gibsonbuzz, Jan 14, 2011.

1. gibsonbuzz

gibsonbuzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Coloma, Michigan
    Early in the fall, egg production went from 18 eggs and started trickling down to 2 eggs a day. Two weeks ago I installed an 8' flouresent strip light in the coop and installed a timer set at 6am-9am and 4:30pm-11pm and last night they were at 7 eggs. Looks like the problem was there is not enough daylight in the winter. Have to make them believe the sun is still out.

2. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    I haven't used any lights, but the days are starting to get longer here. Two EE pullet started laying in the fall, then took about a month off- both started laying this week. The older hens- coming two this spring- had a hard molt, and still aren't laying yet. Grrr.

3. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Congrats, glad they decided to start making thier rent payments again.
    ETA YeeeHaaaaa!!!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  4. gibsonbuzz

Mar 22, 2010
    Coloma, Michigan
    Yesterday they had 6 and today they had 9. Bottom line is, make sure you have light in the coop if you want eggs in the winter.
    I just ordered the ip cam I plan on setting up in the coop. Won't be much longer I will have a live chicken cam for you all to enjoy.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  5. gibsonbuzz

Mar 22, 2010
    Coloma, Michigan
    Last night I went out and the hen gave me 14 eggs. Maybe I should give them a raise. By the way,what is minimum wage for layers?
    [​IMG]

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:I heard they'd work for chicken feed [​IMG]

Edited to add: I don't supplement light and just this week made it back up to 3/6 eggs a day, so the days must s l o w l y be extending. I still have two molters [​IMG] one almost back to "normal" and one half naked...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by