YEEEEEEEE-HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH I am very excited

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rgn87, Jul 3, 2010.

1. rgn87

rgn87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Georgia
    One of my hens just laid their FIRST EGG [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was grilling burgers and looked down and saw this beauty by their pool. i almost screamed like a girl. I was sooooooo excited.
    So I moved it to their nesting box...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am hoping that this egg will be okay in the nest box until the hens lay enough to sit on. [​IMG]I read in a book to put the egg in the nest to encourage them to have more eggs in the nest. Is this true? I am totally freaking out here I am sooooo excited about finding this egg. Any advice you can give me would be very much appreciated. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I hate to run your parade, but the first couple eggs are usually not good when it comes to fertility. Do yourself a favor and just cook them. I personally would wait a week. I hope she has a drake around and they are enjoying themselves together.

3. rgn87

Mar 17, 2010
    Georgia
    will it get rotten if I leave it in the nesting box? I wanted to show the other hens that it is cool to use the box for eggs.

4. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Yay! [​IMG] It does encourage them to lay in the nest if you put an egg in there. I usually use fake eggs for Easter egg hunts, so they don't rot or break. As far as fertility, the first eggs usually don't hatch, and a duck usually don't go broody until they have been laying for almost a year. Some never do go broody, depends on the duck. If you only have one nest box the hen would not be able to incubate the eggs anyway with the other ducks kicking her out and laying eggs under her every day. I think for now you should just start baking with duck eggs or have eggs for breakfast. Congrats! [​IMG]

5. rgn87

Mar 17, 2010
    Georgia
    I have three hens and three nest boxes. So you are saying that they will lay eggs but they won't sit on them until they have been laying for a year?!?! darn. I thought they would have babies this year, like this summer. Where do I find out information on ducks going broody, and eggs and crap like that. Does anyone have a site they recommend or have a posting I could look at. By the ways thanks a lot for letting the wind out of my sails after finding this egg.

6. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Well, they could go broody younger than a year I guess, but what I'm saying is not all ducks do go broody. It depends on the breed, and the hens personality. I have 18 ducks, and they have NEVER gone broody, though it definatly does happen. If you really want babies you should buy and incubator, and do you even have a drake? You NEED a drake for the eggs to be fertilized, otherwise even if you did have a broody the eggs would not hatch. I would reccomend Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks by Dave Holleread, that book taught me everything I need to know about ducks. [​IMG] It would also be better if you had wood shavings for bedding, it doesn't get moldy like straw. [​IMG]

7. rgn87

Mar 17, 2010
    Georgia
    I have five Cayugas two drakes three hens. It would be cool to have baby ducks, but technically I don't need any more ducks so it would be okay if they don't I am not that obsessed to go out and buy a incubator.

8. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Oh, ok. It is not really obsessive to buy an incubator. It's fun to see them hatch and you can make money selling purebreeds. But that's your choice. [​IMG]

9. rgn87

Mar 17, 2010
    Georgia
    One of the hens buried the egg into the straw, is that a broody instinct?

10. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Congrats on the first egg! It is an instinct... But the laying of one egg is not enough of an indictaion that a duck is broody. They generally dont go broody until they have a large clutch of eggs. You will notice a big chjange in her behavior if she does go broody. She will fluff out her feathers more and most likely become a little agressive in her attempt to protect her eggs.

A few of my ducks always cover their eggs once laid- but none of mine are actually broody and they have been laying for a few months now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by