1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

yees... treats

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by raymondjames, Oct 22, 2011.

1. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    I FOUND A TREAT my chicks like!!! Cottage Cheese! Whoo! tried grapes and yogurt (to my suprise they didnt like it, heard it was usually a favorite) and today took the end of a toothpick, swabbed some CC on it and BAM! one of mine pecked it INSTANTLY and started eating it up!

2. petejd

petejd Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2011
    Bluffton, SC.
    I was thinking of trying something for a treat, but not sure if I should. Mine are 5-6 days old. How old are your chicks?

3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Mine will eat anything and they are three weeks old. [​IMG]

4. DinosRBirds

DinosRBirds Hunted by Moonlight

Feb 1, 2011
    Lake Huron,MI
    Try the grapes and yogurt, now! maybe it'l work.

5. petejd

petejd Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2011
    Bluffton, SC.
    Not sure if I should start giving treats at this age.

6. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Mine are a little over 1.5 weeks old. Try treats with yours. But try Cottage cheese first because if they like it it saves a lot of "trying" hassle [​IMG]. They also like Bread, grapes, yogurt (usually). Heres the byc Treat Chart. https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart
    I say anything with higher density than their crumble they need grit. if you dont know what grit is then heres an explanation: theyre little pebble that stay in their Crop (where food goes before their stomach, like a "container". Grit grinds the food but they dont need it for normal chick crumble. mine love the purina Mills oyster shell grit. Very good for them and mine love it. It's almost a treat on its own. you should be able to give your chicks grit now but use in moderation. I "salt" their food with grit (or use 1lb grit for every 10lb feed.)
    try some treats! once you find a few things they love, give them up to one treat/day. Full grown chickens can have more and yogurt apprently cn be served in a small bowl when theyre full grown (also improves eggs i hear). thats really all i know about Chicken treats!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  7. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    I would wait till there 1-2 weeks. My dad found a cricket and just tossed it in there and they went crazy, they were only a week old and they have been getting some treats ever since then. Just dont over do treats when you give them.

8. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    spaghetti and rice and hard boiled egg

9. LizaBlue

LizaBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2010
    Wee Acres
    Our Wal-Mart carries Alf's Natural Nutrition Brown Rice Cereal, no salt added, in the bagged cereals section, regular price $1, sale price usually $.58, and our poultry go INSANE over it. Our dogs love it too. It smells so yummy I tried some, but it needs salt, lol. Cucumber innards are a big fave, but to get them to eat the whole thing I have to puree it. Pumpkin and butternut squash the same, love the guts but have to cook the flesh for the picky lil things. If you want to see mine really go crazy, just give them some pulled pork - they'd fit right in at my family reunion, lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by