1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Yelling?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by moomee56, Apr 7, 2011.

1. moomee56

moomee56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    So. Cal
    I have only two chickens and I didn't think that they would b making as much noise as they do. They are very spolied though. In the morning (usually around 7ish) they start "yelling" very loud until someone wakes up and puts them outside. When the sun sets when they are outside they "yell" until someone brings them in. Latley though they have been yelling like they want something, while they are outside. I don't know what they want! I bring them in and then they just "yell" inside too!They are illigal chickens so I don't want the neighbors to hear them. I love my girls to death, but how can I get the to stop being so noisy?!?! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  2. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Like, yell how? My girls can be kinda noisy, but they really only scream when they've laid an egg (Bwuck bwuck bwuck BWUCK BWUCK B-GAWK!). The rest of the time it's just gentle clucking, sounds that could almost lull you to sleep.

Are you sure they're girls? Something that noisy almost sounds like a roo.

3. moomee56

Mar 1, 2011
    So. Cal
    Well technecly(sp?) only one yells. And she yells like * squak squak SQUAAAAKKKK squak squak SQUAAAAAAKKKKKKK squak SQUAAAAAAAKKKK* I know that they are both pullets because they both lay eggs. They are both pretty quiet about laying eggs and such but when the noisy one (Lacey) wants somehing all quiet thoughts go out the window.

4. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Wow, you've got a mouthy one XD

It sounds like you may have done some basic pavlovian training there -- they squawk, you jump, and they know it. I know it's generally hard to break animals of such habits, but you might try the same sort of thing you'd do with a dog that barks or whines for attention -- ignore them. Only give them attention when they're quiet. It's harder than it sounds!

Also, give them things to keep busy -- flock block and scratch. Healthy treats. Cabbages on a string. When they're well entertained, they're quieter!

To forestall morning noise, insulate their coop and buffer it from the neighbors with shrubbery; at night, talk them in before they get cranky.

5. moomee56

Mar 1, 2011
    So. Cal
    Good advice. Ok I'll try it. Wish me luck, I will keep you updated! [​IMG]

6. akcharlie1960

akcharlie1960 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Chugiak, Alaska
    Sounds like they got you right where they want you. They "yell" and you come running. Mine do the same thing but noise isn't a problem for us so we let them yell and we laugh a little. And they yell loud too.

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Mine do the same when they want the coop opened and I'm not fast enough for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by