Yellow Barred Rock Chic?????

HSCMorgans

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 15, 2012
Bath, NY Steuben County
We wanted to gain some experience with hatching so we put our Barred Rock Roo with the BR hens and started gathering days later... First batch had a low hatch rate but the second a week later was much better. However, much to our suprise we had TWO of the ten that hatched were YELLOW!!! I know that our BRs are only of hatchery quality but still.... were on earth did that come from? I am positive that the hens were NOT exposed to any other roos for as long as two months or more prior to us letting the BR roo with the hens... The chicks are cute as a button!! They look like they have Barring, as their feathers are coming in... Kinda opposite of an actual BR!!!!

Any thoughts.... My first assumption is that the Roo/Hens.... somebodys not purebred!!!!

They look like they have color in their feathers. Is it just the sheen of them with the light shining funny on them or do they have blues/greens/reds in their feathers?

He's too dark to be a pure barred rock. Looks like he had one barred parent, on non-barred. So, the normal rules don't apply!

Yes the two chicks actually do have the blue / barring..... How neat is that? Anyone ever seen or heard of that before? At times I wonder if they are penciled or laced but its really hard to tell for sure at this point to say for sure... A blue barred would be rather interesting!

Back
Top Bottom