Yellow Buffs, Dominickers, Easter Eggers... Oh my!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by greenfamilyfarms, Oct 11, 2009.

1. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Ok, here's my rant.

1. There is no such thing as a "Yellow Buff" chicken. Both "yellow" and "buff" are colors (aka a variety) not a breed. It's a little repeatative to say this. It's like saying, "I'm going to the ATM Machine."
    Most people refer to this breed as a "Yellow Buff." The correct name is "Buff Orpington." Buff refers to the color, Orpington is the breed. Sorry, I don't raise "Yellow Buffs" - I raise Buff Orpingtons.

[​IMG]
    (Also note that Orpington is not spelled with an "h".)

2. There is a difference between a Barred Plymouth Rock and a Dominique (aka Dominicker). The most obvious difference is that Barred Rocks have single combs and Dominique have rose combs. There is also difference in the barring pattern.
    *If somebody wants to post pics to demonstrate the differences, please feel free.

3. Don't get offended when somebody calls your "Ameraucana" an Easter Egger. If it was purchased at a feed store or a hatchery, that's exactly what it is. True Ameraucanas lay blue eggs; Easter Eggers can lay a variety of egg colors. Also, Ameraucanas are recognized by the APA in certain colors (varieties) while Easter Eggers are not.

Ok? Alright.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    I agree. Some people just don't understand. They're Easter Eggers, not Americanas (intentional misspelling, I actually know how to spell Ameraucana).
    We'll educate them!

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Oh, yeah! I missed the part about the variety of spellings for those. [​IMG]

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I looked at the title and thought BUFF ORPINGTON, not yellow buff! LOL!

5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I've never even heard them called yellow buffs... the orphington thing has always annoyed me though. I have figured out that some people just don't do as much research as I do when they start a project like owning chickens. I am a consumate researcher. I read everything I can get my hands on about a subject before I start it. Some people just don't though, which is fine I guess, just strange imo. Just last night I went to a chicken workshop thing to introduce people to raising chickens. The people there had a couple buff orps, an EE, and a few other birds. They showed one off as an Australorp but it had brown feathers on its neck and feathers so I was clearly an Aussie mix. I just bit my tounge.

6. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    I know how you guys feel! It also gets me a little irritated when my dad keeps calling all the OEGBs 'BB reds'. That's a color dad! And if you put duckwings or whatever other color with BB's, you'll still have pure OEGBs! Just not pure colors. There's a difference! But hey, I'm making progress. Before, they all were just BBs. Like the guns. But I can understand that if that's the only name he had known them by, and was told it's for their small size.

There was something else I was going to add but I forgot....[​IMG]

Edit: I remember now! Buff cochins. That's another 'color stuck to the name' case. We saw some mottled cochins yesterday at a swap, and he pointed them out as buff cochins. Had to explain again that the breed is actually just cochin, and buff only applies to...well...the buff ones [​IMG]

Another thing to add, is Mille Fleurs. It isn't Millie, although I'm fine with people saying it as a nickname. Just try to add what breed it is, as they are Mille Fleur D'UCCLES (or booted bantams if no beard). It's a color, not the whole breed. Even though the majorty of them are that color it seems...

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  7. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    I looked at the post and my brain automatically read Buff Orpington [​IMG] I don't know why anybody would get all huffy about their EE being called an EE [​IMG] The hatcheries use "false advertising" for their EE's. Not cool on their part, but geeze, the EE's are always so pretty! I have both EE's and true Ameraucanas - Love 'em both. Just sold Maybel yesterday to a guy who just adored her, and kept saying how pretty she was (Maybel wasn't for sale when he first got to our place, but after the 20th comment about how pretty she is, I got the hint [​IMG])

I've never heard buff orps (is it ok to say that?) called yellow buffs. But the "Orphington" thing does drive me nuts!

8. aerosmith_99

aerosmith_99 Out Of The Brooder

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  9. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I know someone who calls them Yellow Buffs....... Hubby does it now cause he knows it irritates me
    A friend of mine made the mistake of calling my Barred Rocks , Dominiques. I explained the difference to him, he honestly had no idea.
    This friend has one of my EE/Barred Rock cross hens, he calls her an Aracauna cross, the man is almost 70 so I figure why fight it. He loves her Olive Colored egg though [​IMG]

10. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    Here in Kentucky I hear "yeller buffs" a lot.....sigh!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by