YELLOW CHICKEN MANURE!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shaneensmith, Apr 20, 2019.

1. shaneensmith

shaneensmith Chirping

Nov 26, 2018
    Quesnel, BC
    Does this crap look right to you? see pics?
    this article says its Ceacal
    Photos of the pop attached here are from my chickens.
    I am having nothing but problems with my chickens right now (these are the new chickens I got from a friend - I was horrified at the state of them - how could someone I know treat their animals like that leave them littered with lice and malnourished) ugh!

A barred rock went lame yesterday, then was lame this morning listless and tired eyes closed - not gaping for air, then by noon it was dead (did not get a poop sample) - unsure if it was Mycoplasma gallisepticum. - I cannot get to a vet for a poop sample or advice until Tuesday, so I am literally on my own.

I got turkeys from these people too - the birds looked totally fine - all active, not listless at all, just littered with lice (gross). I am really wishing they told me the state of these birds I would have never drove 7 hours to pick them up. I am quite choked.

20190420_161712_HDR.jpg 20190420_161715.jpg 20190420_161703_HDR.jpg

SurferchickinSB likes this.
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry your having problems :hugs
    Are they all eating/drinking right now - active?
    I would try to get that fecal float on Tuesday if possible to check for worms.

Do you have any poultry vitamins on hand? I would add some to their water, see that they are eating well.
    If you changed feed from what they were normally eating, that could be one reason the poop is "off".

Morrigan likes this.
  3. SurferchickinSB

SurferchickinSB Crowing

Feb 23, 2018
    California
    It doesn’t look like anything my chickens poop. Cecal poop is usually a lot darker than that. Other than that I do not have any idea. Hopefully somebody else will know.

4. shaneensmith

shaneensmith Chirping

Nov 26, 2018
    Quesnel, BC
    Oh my - I got them off a so called "friend" the drive was 7 hours away. I asked if any of the birds were ill - or dying for any reason - he said NOPE! they are all very healthy!! Get there - littered with lice and malnutrition - so disappointed in those so called "friends". Kicking myself in the ass for bringing those chickens here - and literally being lied to. Part of me felt so bad for them I ended up bringing them home - now I am so upset.

Ever since I have had them here since April 1st - they are eating drinking, and very active - they are actually savages, like pigs, or garbage chickens, they absolutely ravage ANYTHING I put in their pen (a tell tale sign of a "fight to eat or die flock"). There was a Barred Rock that died today...yesterday it had a bummed leg and was limping - today it was dead. Now most of the chickens are rattle-breathing (not consistently) - and sneezing (also not constantly - but they are sneezing).

THEY ARE TOTALLY AWAY FROM MY MAIN FLOCK!!!!!! no way will I have them near my main chickens.

I have a feeling they have Mycoplasma gallisepticum. I kept the dead body of the Barred Rock and will be sending it for a necropsy as soon as possible. I don't think I ever want these chickens near my main flock - birds that have Mycoplasma gallisepticum will always be carriers - I hear Mycoplasma gallisepticum is very common. I have dealt with coccidiosis in my Amerucana chicks (lost 3) - it was horrible - I am very sensitive to my chickens, I can usually tell there is something wrong or off and I do act immediately as soon as I humanly can.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    Separate the turkeys from the chickens as well. If there's cecal worms present in the chickens, there's the possibility of an infectious protozoa that could infect the turkeys and kill them (blackhead.) Fecal samples from the chickens submtted to a vet will tell if cecal worm eggs are present, as well as other type of worms.
    Keep in mind that MG can be transmitted on your clothing, shoes etc...practice strict biosecurity. It's going to be tough.

SurferchickinSB and Wyorp Rock like this.
  6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    It's good that you are going to send the BR for necropsy, I hope that gives you some information.

You mention they are eating/drinking and active - even seem to be ravenous. I would get the fecal float to see if they have worms. If they were malnourished and infested with external parasites when you got them. I would try to give them a boost - a little extra protein won't hurt along with poultry vitamins. Eggs, fish or meat are good choice for a protein boost or you can give them a higher protein feed like chick starter or an all flock feed. Provide oyster shell free choice for the layers.

7. SurferchickinSB

SurferchickinSB Crowing

Feb 23, 2018
    California
    Sorry about your situation, usually, but not always when somebody is giving away animals it is because they are sick of taking care of them and by that time they have been so neglected, they are not in good shape. You have quite a job ahead of you but I hope in the end of all your work you will have some nice birds :)

8. shaneensmith

shaneensmith Chirping

Nov 26, 2018
    Quesnel, BC
    This was a friend. They were leaving to travel. I am sorely dissapointmented in them.

Here is anothet barred rock...its breathing funny.....ugh!!!

9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    She may have stridor, has she just been eating/drinking?
    Look inside her beak to see if there's anything like canker or lesions.

Does she have any other symptom - mucous, watery eyes,coughing/sneezing?

If the symptoms worsen or don't resolve in a little while, then if you have any antibiotics on hand you can try those to see if they help.
    I know you are frustrated and things don't seem to be going well. Watch to see if she's eating/drinking o.k.

fwiw - I see feathered legs? If she's feather legged - she's not a Barred Rock.

10. SurferchickinSB

SurferchickinSB Crowing

Feb 23, 2018
    California
    Well, hopefully with clean water, clean environment and fresh air that may go away. If the chickens have been kept in a filthy environment maybe they have slight respiratory problems that will go away when they are better taken care of. Especially if the area they were kept in was filthy and filled with droppings that were giving off ammonia and turning into dust and getting in their lungs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: