Yellow coated eyes

Thx for answering. I have no other symptoms on this hen and she is the last one in the pecking order. I have her in a cage now because she couldn't get to the food and her comb was sagging. Now she seems brighter and better and wants out but I dont think it's time. Mostly she holds it shut but if she opens it it's just yellow.

Attachments

• 20200905_095509.jpg
    20200905_095509.jpg
    410.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200905_095215.jpg
    20200905_095215.jpg
    569.9 KB · Views: 5
Thx for answering. I have no other symptoms on this hen and she is the last one in the pecking order. I have her in a cage now because she couldn't get to the food and her comb was sagging. Now she seems brighter and better and wants out but I dont think it's time. Mostly she holds it shut but if she opens it it's just yellow.
Hi there, I was just looking at your post of the picture of your hens eye. I am not sure but it looks like it may be infected and I have never done it but I have seen a video where they squeeze the pus out. I guess with Chickens the puss turns hard and has to be squeezed out.

I would do irrigate the eye with saline eye wash, and try to remove any pus from the eye. It looks like it has dried out, so I would keep wetting it, and try to soften it. It usually takes someone else to help hold the chicken while you work on the eye. It may take QTips, tissue, tweezers or a manicure tool. When the dried pus or coating is removed, the antibiotic ointment may help more. Usaully an eye with pus is due to a respiratory disease or an infection, such as from a peck wound or a feather getting stuck in the eye.
https://www.bausch.com/portals/69/-.../Products/Pharma/bausch-lomb-aer-eye-wash.jpg

I would do irrigate the eye with saline eye wash, and try to remove any pus from the eye. It looks like it has dried out, so I would keep wetting it, and try to soften it. It usually takes someone else to help hold the chicken while you work on the eye. It may take QTips, tissue, tweezers or a manicure tool. When the dried pus or coating is removed, the antibiotic ointment may help more. Usaully an eye with pus is due to a respiratory disease or an infection, such as from a peck wound or a feather getting stuck in the eye.
https://www.bausch.com/portals/69/-/m/BL/United States/Images/Products/Pharma/bausch-lomb-aer-eye-wash.jpg

Ok, I'll give that a try tomorrow. Thanks for all the tips and help.

Hello! Wondering if you have any updates? I have a very similar issue and am looking for advice on next steps. I did try to massage and remove the pus last night but it really didn't seem to be moving. If it is just her eye, I'd hate to be too rough. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom