Yellow coated eyes

Armywife81

Hatching
Mar 31, 2020
Hi I'm wondering why my rooster has a yellow coat over his eyes he was recently injured by something and lived seems to be alert but now he has a yellow coat over his eyes he is drinking but not eating and has been laying for a few days now due to having a injured leg plz help this is the first this has happen to me. Thanks

Attachments

• 15856967324856956839330538574819.jpg
    15856967324856956839330538574819.jpg
    372.5 KB · Views: 16
Welcome to BYC. It could be a coating or skin over the eye from infection, or scar tissue, I am not sure. I am going to tag another BYC member, @casportpony in case she knows if the eye is viable or if there is infection. I would recommend putting some antibiotic ointment into the eye a couple of times a day for now.

Welcome to BYC. It could be a coating or skin over the eye from infection, or scar tissue, I am not sure. I am going to tag another BYC member, @casportpony in case she knows if the eye is viable or if there is infection. I would recommend putting some antibiotic ointment into the eye a couple of times a day for now.

Terramycin eye ointment from the feed store is good. I have used a new tube of plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment in a pinch on a chicken. Neosporin eye ointment is prescription only. A vet could also be of help or could prescribe drops or ointment.

My hen has the exact same issue. I am doing terramycin eye ointment and penicillin injections. It is surviving. I was wondering how you chicken did and how the eye is now?

My hen has the exact same issue. I am doing terramycin eye ointment and penicillin injections. It is surviving. I was wondering how you chicken did and how the eye is now?
Has the chicken had any sneezing, nasal dranage, rattly or wheezy breathing, or head shaking as well? Can you post any pictures? Is there any pus or film covering the eye? Many eye problems are due to respiratory diseases, such as MG or coryza. Penicillin is not the best antibiotic for respiratory diseases. Something like Tylosin, doxycycline, ocytetracycline, or Denagard are better for MG. Coryza is better treated with sulfa antibiotics (sulfadimethoxine or SMZ-TMP.) some may be ordered online for pigeons. The Terramycin ointment though is very good.

Back
Top Bottom