Yellow color on Spalding faces

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by q8peafowl, Nov 4, 2015.

1. q8peafowl

q8peafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    Kuwait
    I know many people wrote about this before, but i would like to hear everyone experiences with best feeds that brings the more yellow color on the spalding and green birds faces, my spalding birds had more yellow color on their faces back when i bought them 2 years ago, so i'm trying to bring this yellow color back. I also have green and spalding peachicks which i'm trying to add more yellow color on their faces. I have read the birds will need feeds that will produce more keratin in their bodies, so i listed all these kind of feeds to give to my birds:
    1- Kelp meal(will only be in the peachicks feed not in the adults feed).
    2- broccoli(once a week).
    3-peanuts(once a week).
    4- eggs(once a week).
    5- Dry cat fish feed.(once a week).
    6- beans(once a week).
    7- Kale(once a week).

Please let know about this plan.

2. Dany12

Dany12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Hungary
    Perhaps : some ideas.
    Food too rich .... too exciting .... all the time! ... all the year long !
    hormonal burn out ! causes as a stage of "eclipse ducks" or Junglefowl.... The yellow spots is a sign of sexual activity for other birds ... it's saying "who I am"!

3. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

That is a good point that Dany brings up. It is common in the bird world that during the breeding season the plumage gets more colorful to attract the hens. If there is no change will it affect the breeding season?

4. q8peafowl

Apr 23, 2014
    Kuwait
    I know they will get more yellow color on their faces during breeding season, i was comparing the colors between 2014 breeding season and 2015 breeding season. In the winter they will almost loose all the yellow.

But i want to see the yellow on my peachicks too, i'm seeing other people spalding peachicks and even low percentage spalding chicks has more yellow on their faces than mine.

1 person likes this.
  5. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    My green peachick Raptor is starting to get some good yellow on his face. He is a little over 5 months old now. My low % Spalding white hen is getting more yellow on her face than she has had in the past. The only thing different I have been doing is giving all the peafowl more dry cat food. Instead of giving them cat food once a week I give them small portions almost daily.

At the UPA convention someone asked Josh Nelson of the Rocking B-A-B Ranch how he gets his greens and spaldings to have the bright yellow face. He told us that due to the cost, he no longer uses kelp meal. He said that what they give them for the bright yellow face is feed the birds a lot of natural seeds & mixes.

I feed my peafowl mainly black oil sunflower seeds. I have tried giving them wild bird mixes that people buy for bird feeders, but my birds are picky and end up picking out maybe 3 or 4 types of seeds and the rest are wasted. I will have to try giving them a mix again and monitoring exactly what they eat out of it. I do know that they pick out the sunflower seeds and the cracked corn. Other than that I would have to see them eat the feed again to see what other seeds they pick out. They generally leave behind the small round seeds.

1 person likes this.
  6. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    All of my greens have yellow faces i feed ultra kibble and a seed and nut mixture along with their normal greens and such...

I took these photos day before yesterday of some of the greens while i was fitting them for bits and leg bands

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My free rangers also get ultra kibble and seed mixture but free range for most all their greens and such...
    the whites show alot of yellow at this time when the new feathers start coming in it fades with time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    even my blues and pieds have a hint of yellow
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Pfauenfreund

Pfauenfreund Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    This is something I can’t confirm. What I could see is that many factors are having an influence to the yellow colour. But that it is more intensive during breeding season I can’t confirm at all. I’m observing this now since years and what I can see every year is, that the yellow in the face is getting paler just before a hen starts laying. I can just look into the faces and I know which hen starts within the next three, four days to lay.

I big influence is coming from ultrasonic light. As more sun the birds are getting as more intensive it is. This you can very well see when you have young birds. Young birds with 5, 6 months old are getting much more and intensive yellow as more sun they have. In my barns I have installed birds lamps which are switched on the whole day during the winter and after I did this I have a god yellow all the winter.

Stress is another factor as more stress the birds have as less intensive the yellow is. Maybe this is the reason too, that the males are losing the intensive yellow during breeding season to. As soon as the breeding season is over it is possible to see that the intensive yellow is coming back within 4 weeks.

2 people like this.
  8. q8peafowl

Apr 23, 2014
    Kuwait
    I have used kelp meal in their feed since two months now, i still can't notice any difference, i will give it more time, i'm afraid of wild birds seed cause i had hard time last time with egg bound in hens because of wild pigeons seed.

9. q8peafowl

Apr 23, 2014
    Kuwait
    ZAZ, yours have a nice yellow skins, i bought a male yesterday he was free ranged and noticed he has yellow color on his face even so he isn't spalding. I read about Keratin and how to raise it up in the body, one of the things was eating high protein feeds and seeds which i guess they are getting during free ranging, they are also getting more sunlight of course.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  10. q8peafowl

Apr 23, 2014
    Kuwait
    The problem here is our sun is too hot, during summer the birds will hide under the shade most of the time, they can't stand under the sun more than 5 minutes, also my peachicks will be raised inside until October at least, i can't put them out before this cause they will die of the heat. What do you mean by installing birds lamps? Is it normal light or what?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by