1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Yellow/Creme Dutch Bantam cockerel crossed with a gold hen

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SilverDutch, Jan 17, 2014.

1. SilverDutch

SilverDutch New Egg

Jan 17, 2014
    Hi
    I am fairly new to breeding chickens and am hoping to breed some dutch bantams this year. I wanted to ask if anybody could tell me what color would result if I crossed my creme cockerel with my gold hen?Would this be a good idea or would I be best off selling this bird and replacing him with a gold cockerel to pair with my hen?

2. JeanR

JeanR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2009
    Montana
    Sorry that I just found this post......

Cream Light Brown should not be bred with Gold (Light Brown, US). You are adding a Cream gene (ig) that is recessive and will display in later hatches--and "muddies" the Cream variety and may slightly dilute the gold hackle of females, so that you are not sure what variety she is!

Best to get a Light Brown (Gold partridge, UK) to mate with your hen. AND a Cream Light Brown hen to go with your CLB male. They are both worth the chance for "best in variety" for sales or show or just admiring in your own pens-yes, enjoy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by