1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Yellow crookneck squash can you eat them? pics now

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by GopherBoyFarms, Oct 2, 2008.

1. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    well the chickens ate most of our garden this year (there will be a fence around the garden next year)

But I do have some Yellow crookneck squash that the girls dont seem to touch. I didnt even know I planted this.
    I am wondering can you eat these? or are they just decoration. And if you can eat them anyone have a recipe??

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  2. whitecra

whitecra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    If it is squash you can eat it. This is the kind of squash we like here. I like to cut it up into bite size pieces and cook it in a pan with butter and onions. Also you can fry it. Are you sure it is squash and not something else?
    Chris

3. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

When crook neck squash are not too big, they cook up just like zucchini (sp??).

If they get too big, you can split them open and the chickens adore the seeds in the center of them.

4. GopherBoyFarms

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    ok, well I am not sure what they aresince I planted them and the ziplock the neighbor gave me with seeds said cantolope...I will go take a pic ture of them and someone can tell me what they are. LOL

5. kwynn's birds Alaska

kwynn's birds Alaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Kenai, Alaska
    My MIL always flours it up with salt, pepper, zucchini, and sometimes okra. Toss in some diced onion when it's about 1/2 way done. SO GOOD!

Gotta pic yet?

6. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    I've found them to be most tasty if you grill them. [​IMG]

7. GopherBoyFarms

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    [​IMG]

and this is what followed me to the garden.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

got one more pic of the unknown veggy before I had to chase the flock back to the back yard
    [​IMG]

8. ODS-n-ENS FARM

ODS-n-ENS FARM Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    NH
    That is a yellow crookneck squash. Is a type of yellow summer squash. Its very edible. I am very jealous.....your garden still looks so good.....mine has started to go by.

9. GopherBoyFarms

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    oh thank you.....we have 3 small gardens...a HIS a HERS and a KIDS
    HIS and KIDS mainly have pumpkins, sunflowers, and corn.
    HERS (mine) has/had onions, tomatos, hot peppers, squach, green beans, and herbs. I really wanted to make salsa this year but the chickens ate all but 2 of my tomatoes.

So when can I pick these squach, and can I make soup out of them? Do I use the skins?

10. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I steam mine, put some butter on it & some Johnny's...YUM! My chickens will eat the insides of the yellow squash, if I break them open for them. Otherwise, I think the yellow color may deter them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by