yellow crown

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Scott16475, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Scott16475

Scott16475 Chillin' With My Peeps

I was out gathering eggs this morning and noticed one of the 'points' of a hens crown has turned yellow. It's not the entire crown but just one of the points (sorry, not sure what it's called). Any thoughts on what this is? She's a 7 month old Black Australorp. The temps have been very cold lately with snow. Could this be frostbite? What shall I do? Thank you!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes, that may be a touch of frostbite. It will probably require no treatment, but Neosporin ointment can be gently applied to a comb that has been frostbitten. Don't rub the area. Make sure that there is not too much moisture of humidity in the coop, and that there is a way for moisture to escape with ventilation in the highest point of the coop. Here is a good link on frostbite: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/12/frostbit-in-backyard-chickens-causes.html

[​IMG]
    Frostbite on comb

3. Scott16475

Scott16475 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you for responding. She seems to be doing well so I'm going to continue to watch it. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by