Yellow Diarreah

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Windy Lane, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Windy Lane

Windy Lane Chirping

Aug 5, 2017
    Need advice for a 2-yr old Buff Hen that had a pasty butt with normal colored droppings. I washed her and checked to ensure she wasn't egg bound. Next day she was normal so I put her back in coop. It's been a week but now last 2 days she's not interested in eating and has yellow/green diarreah. Her crop is fine. My coop is very clean and the run is dry. I've separated her. I was adding extra protein because a few gals decided to molt. I'm going to give her yogurt but any other ideas appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Could you post a picture of her typical droppings? Does the yellow in the dropping look like it could be “cooked egg” matter? Has she lost weight when you pick her up? Check for swelling in her lower belly, feel of her crop to see if it is empty, has food in it, or puffy. Look her over on around her vent and elsewhere for mites or lice. Does she lay eggs or has she stopped? Any chance that she is starting a molt?

3. Windy Lane

Windy Lane Chirping

Aug 5, 2017
    I will check her crop tonight but this morning it was soft and not much in it. She doesn't seem to have lost much weight, her breast bone is not protruding. No mites or lice under wing's, vent when I bathed her. I thought it may be molt but wasn't sure if that would give a hen diarreah. Maybe too much protein? I upped the protein because several others were molting. She drank a bit of the probiotic water but has not touched the yogurt. I will look her over again tonight and see if any changes.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Has she laid eggs recently? Yogurt may be better accepted when mixed into some chicken feed with water. I would only use about a tsp daily. Chickens have diarrhea for one reason or another, but looking at a series of poops may help to see if the droppings vary. They can drink a lot of water or eat more greens outside which can cause runny poops. If a vet can run a fecal test on some fresh droppings on Monday, they can tell you if there is a worm overload or coccidiosis. Some poultry vitamins for a few days to help build up her appetite.

Windy Lane likes this.
  5. Windy Lane

Windy Lane Chirping

Aug 5, 2017
    Update on my hen...I took her on Monday to the vet. We put her under and checked her over. Her abdomen was very swollen and she had a large tumor. She went peacefully.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: