yellow discharge?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicken parm, Nov 19, 2008.

1. chicken parm

chicken parm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2008
    delaware
    Hello all, have a question. my hens have been laying since end of august begining october. have 8 hybrids get 7-8 eggs a day. once in a while there will be a yellow discharge in the nest box. everyone looks healthy, eating good. is there something going on ?

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Yellow like egg yolk? You could have someone laying soft shell egg or an egg eater.

3. chicken parm

Nov 19, 2008
    delaware
    yea, it could be egg yolk. but why would it be laying a soft shell egg? been getting eggs steady. don't think it's an egg eater no shells to be found and have been getting 7-8 a day. it doesn't happen all the time just once in a while.

4. katrinag

Soft shell egss happen in new layers. They have to work the kinks out of the plumbing. Are you feeding oyster shell free choice?
    Eat eater sometimes leave now clues behind.
    Also how often do you collect eggs?

5. chicken parm

Nov 19, 2008
    delaware
    I feed them layer crumbles so I don't think I need grit, I collect the eggs everyday before noon.

6. katrinag

Grit is different then oyster shell. They need the oyster shell, it has calcium.
    If they free range and you really do not need grit. My dig in my gravel drive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by