1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Yellow eggs....really??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Alpha, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Alpha

Alpha In the Brooder

Jul 28, 2009
    California
    I've heard that some EE's lay a yellow or yellowish colored egg. Is this really true? Does anyone here have a picture of such an egg that they can post? I've yet to see this color in any breed's egg. I have several EE's, and they all lay the typical colors: blue, blue/green, green. I also have one hen that lays a tinted(pink).

2. Firework

Firework Songster

Nov 30, 2008
    Minneeesooodaaa
    Good question. [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I dont know. I had two EE/BR crosses. One laid a pinkish egg with lavender speckles and her sister laid a yellowish-beige one. Definitely had a yellow tint, but really yellow? No.

4. keystonepaul

keystonepaul Songster

May 14, 2008
    Pocono
    Speckledhen and others, do you know if you could continue to breed for yellow egg color? Would you be able to breed your now paler yellow egg layer to one of the roos from that cross( if there wass was one) or the roo that fathered it and get better yellow egg color?? Thanks folks, Keystonepaul

5. speckledhen

Theoretically, you can certainly breed for egg color. Ameraucana breeders do it all the time. I dont have those girls any longer. They belong to rooster-red.

6. Alpha

Alpha In the Brooder

Jul 28, 2009
    California
    I've searched around online, and this is the only picture that I could find. Because egg colors don't always translate well to pictures, I'm not sure how true to life these are though.

http://www.welphatchery.com/rare/ameraucana.asp

7. speckledhen

No way that is a real representation of an egg, IMO.

8. nicalandia

nicalandia Crowing

Jul 16, 2009
  9. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    Quote:I believe that is supposed to be a "golden brown" egg

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I had an EE once that laid an off white egg with a yellowish tint. But I'd never call it 'yellow'.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by