Yellow face, fluffed up hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Writer21, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Writer21

Writer21 New Egg

Nov 10, 2014
    I have a five year old Silver Laced Wyandotte who has been looking strange for a few weeks now and today I finally realized what it is. Her face is a very sickly looking yellow. I hadn't noticed the color until I pulled up some old photos of her this morning, just mostly from her standing around sort of 'compact' like she was cold. I feed organic layer, she has two hen-mates that are different breeds who look and act fine. Please help, I'd hate to have anything happen to her, they are older now and don't lay as much, but I've gotten attached to them!

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Being that they are older, it could be a liver problem caused by bacteria or cancer and I don't think you can do anything. But maybe someone knows of something.

3. Writer21

Writer21 New Egg

Nov 10, 2014
    Okay, thank you. I picked up Life-Lytes mega tabs from our local Agway this morning to give them a bit of a boost. I realize that it probably won't do anything but at least it's vitamins and electrolytes.

4. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I think it's good you are trying something. . I think I'd be doing that too. If the chicken should pass, just know that there was probably nothing you could have done. [​IMG]

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Does she lay eggs anymore? Worming her with Valbazen or SafeGuard may help her if it could be a worm problem. Have any of your chickens been molting lately? I know that my flock has been molting for weeks now and they all have looked pretty raggedy and pale. Has your hen lost any weight through her chest area? With older hens internal laying and egg yolk peritonitis can sometimes be a problem, and sometimes they can have heart or liver involvement. Ascites or water in the belly can also be a problem with those things. There is also a disease called fatty liver hemorrhagic syndrome that can affect the liver. I hope she perks up for you with a little TLC.

6. Writer21

Writer21 New Egg

Nov 10, 2014
    Thank you all for the help :) She hasn't laid any eggs in quite some time, I never see her in the box. I have an Australorp who still lays when the weather is nice, and another brown egg layer (can't remember the breed) that will sometimes lay. They are all almost through their molt now so everyone isn't exactly looking their best but I can see that she's not feeling well. She's still eating and drinking just fine and if I go over to them she nebs at what I'm doing. I'm hoping that the vitamins at least make her feel a little better. I don't think she's lost any weight, she looks the same except for her face and comb and the fact that she stands compacted.

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you bring her in or give her a lower wattage heat lamp in the coop in case she IS cold? It's so hard to tell what's going on with your chickens sometimes.

8. Writer21

Writer21 New Egg

Nov 10, 2014
    She passed this morning. Thanks everyone for the advice and support :) it's greatly appreciated. I'm sure the other hens will get tired of me checking to see if they look yellow now!

9. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    [​IMG]

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    So sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by