Yellow feathers on adult Pekin ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by gwennym, Jun 18, 2009.

1. gwennym

gwennym Songster

Dec 18, 2008
    Edwardsville, IL
    Hi all ...

I have 5 Pekin ducks, all adult, and I've noticed that at least 3 of the 5 have distinctly yellow feathers. I don't know if it's because they get their straw wet and lay on it, or what. Has anyone else had this happen?

thanks
    Gwen

[​IMG]

2. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Songster

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    Mine are just over 2 months and still have yellow feathers too. They appear to be getting whiter but are still yellow. They dont have straw or anything yet. I asked the guy at the feed store when they will finally turn white, and he said not until after they turn one year old.

3. chixie

chixie Songster

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    my pekin was all white way before a year old

4. It could be genetics if it's just three of them. Also I read once that to keep a pekin white they shouldn't eat corn. Don't know about the straw, could be tho.

5. ExpLo721

ExpLo721 In the Brooder

May 30, 2009
    Chicago/Montgomery
    my pekin was yellow for a good month or two before it turned white

6. MDC

MDC Songster

Jan 17, 2008
    KS
    Actually the pekin should have a yellow/cream tint to their feathers. Breeders who show will actually feed more corn to Pekin than to their other birds to help with the yellow/cream tint, as well as keeping them out of direct sunlight. If they have it - it's not a bad thing at all!

I'm talking feathers here, not to be confused with down which is also yellow in pekin.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: