1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

yellow film on thick skin???

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by garp94, Oct 30, 2013.

1. garp94

garp94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    New York
    I just processed 6 twelve week old cornish crosses. most of them have a yellow film that I can rub off. It seems to be the topmost layer of skin. Did I scald them too long? should I rub it off or leave it or does it not matter?

These are my first CX. I've processed older cockerels before and I don't remember it being there but that was last year and I might just not have noticed.

Another Q: when i roasted those cockerels their skin was actually pretty thick and tough even when i got the meat right.
    Is it usual for their skin to get thicker with age? Can i hope these younger CX will end up with the crispy skin i've enjoyed on the commercial chickens? or will theirs be thicker as well?

thanks

2. LilRedRoo

LilRedRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    Bremond, Texas
    I've never done meat birds before, but I butcher "fowl" meat regularly with our laying flock. Other than some birds with lots of thick fat deposits, the only time I experienced yellow film was in a Marek's outbreak. I am not saying that this was a related symptom, but one of the birds I sent pictures of to Texas A&M was a bird with a slimy yellow goo under her skin and throughout her body. Her muscling has the tale-tale signs of Mareks as well. Did you happen to notice any enlargement or oddities of the internal organs?

I tried to attach a couple of pictures but I'm having connectivity problems with my server in the rough weather.

3. garp94

May 2, 2009
    New York
    inside seemed fine
    under the skin seemed normal, too. this top yellow layer wasn't slimy, it would need some rubbing to get off, but did come off as a distinct thin covering.
    I rubbed it all off one bird, and left the others haphazard. After sitting in the icewater bath a few hours the distinction seems less, but i can still pick out the bird i rubbed all the yellow off of.

[​IMG]

I'll be roasting one in 3 days and taste.

4. Randoo

Randoo Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2012
    Southern IL
    I had the same problem when I first started processing my own birds. The problem was too hot water or too long in the water. Made adjustments and everything was fine after that. Hope this helps.

5. Randoo

Randoo Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2012
    Southern IL
    p.s. after cooking, the bird looked fine.

6. BCMaraniac

BCMaraniac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    I have had this happen to me as well, and it is from water that is too hot. I kinda liken it to a sunburn in humans and the layer of skin that will peel off a few days later.

7. garp94

May 2, 2009
    New York
    thank-you
    i'll pay better attention to the water temp next time

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by