1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

yellow fluid in abdomin

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by tomdaun, Jan 24, 2016.

1. tomdaun

tomdaun New Egg

Jan 24, 2016
    we butcherd the kids 4H chickens today and 2 of the chickens abdomin was full of a yellow fluid anyone know what this is?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

It's called ascites, which basically means a build up of fluid in the abdomen. Helpful, right?

It's not a problem at all for eating the bird. It basically means they were nearing the end of their natural life and it was time to butcher. It's a common thing in meat birds and not at all harmful to us when we eat them.

1 person likes this.
  3. tomdaun

tomdaun New Egg

Jan 24, 2016
    thanks I'll look it up. on the whiz bang site he said that the bird was sick and to throw it away which is what we did. Its the first time I have run into this all of our other chickens are open range.

4. BeaverQB

BeaverQB Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2015
    Oregon
    Sounds gross to me, I would have a hard time just rinsing it off and eating it after seeing that.

What breed was it? Cornish X?

5. tomdaun

tomdaun New Egg

Jan 24, 2016
    yes it was cornish x we bleached and washed everything before we continued. they were the 2 smallest of the batch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by