Yellow foam coming out of pip hole! Help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by curranchickens, Oct 21, 2013.

1. curranchickens

curranchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2011
    Fredericskburg, VA
    My eggs were supposed to hatch this morning. All have hatched except for one. It has been pipped all day and finally started zipping this evening. It seemed really really wet... Now there is yellow foam bubbles coming out of the zip and the beak seems upside down... Chick is still moving beak but not making progress. I have never seen this. What is happening and why? [​IMG]

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I can't see the beak in the pic. The bubbles look a bit like albumen, but I'm not sure. If it's bright yellow it could be yolk from a ruptured yolk sac. Can you clear a bit more of the shell and take another pic?

3. chickencrazy999

chickencrazy999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    maybe you should try and give it a wipe around its beak and try and pick the egg of around the chick BUT try not to brake the membrane ok

4. 1876 Farm

1876 Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Last summer, I hatched 2 batches of Guinea eggs. Had 18 and then 19 chicks hatch. I have found that the chicks in the last few eggs, that need help to hatch or finally do hatch on their own, do not survive the 1st week. They hatch out weak and small compared to the other chicks.

It's sad when it happens, but my husband always reminds me that's where they get the phrase "survival of the fittest".

Good luck and I hope everything works out ok.

5. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    It does look very wet, like the egg didn't dry out like it should. It may not make it. Like chickencrazy999 said, get a paper towel and try to dry it best you can.

6. curranchickens

Oct 2, 2011
    Fredericskburg, VA
    Well last night I decided to zip the rest of the way around and found that the yoke had ruptured. It was oozing out and making a sticky mess. I got the beak out of danger of drowning and wrapped it in a wet paper towel and went to bed hoping for the best. When I got up this morining the chick was still in the shell and a band of dry membrane was holding its head down so it could not move at all out of the shell. I ended up removing the chick from the shell and trying to get the membrane off as best as possible. His legs started running marathons the second they were free. He seems strong... I tried washing him under warm water to try to get some of the dry yoke off because it was very stiff. Now he is completely hatched and back in the incubator on his own. His toes seem curled up and he does not seem to be walking normally yet. Waiting to see if he is going to be strong enough to walk correctly. Once I think he is in the clear I will have to give another bath as he is still pretty covered with dry stiff yoke. I will post updates.

7. curranchickens

Oct 2, 2011
    Fredericskburg, VA
    I well I pulled him out of the bator and have him a nice warm wash trying to get as much of the yoke and membrane off him as possible. I got most off. It seems strong... Puts up a fight but does not seem to be walking. It's feet are curled up and he seems to be flopping around instead of walking. Another concerning thing is that while washing him he shot poo on the countertop. It did not look right. Here is a pic... Thoughts?
    [​IMG]

Oh and here is a pic of the little guy before washing the hardened goo off.

[​IMG]

8. chickencrazy999

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    Hmm the poo might just be down to stress I would not worry he seems to be doing great he may have spraddle leg or some other foot problem I would look it up and if it is try a make a brace for it please keep us posted thanks

9. curranchickens

Oct 2, 2011
    Fredericskburg, VA
    Hello! Checked on the little guy today and he/she is doing much better! Still has alittle yoke dried on the top of his head but other then that, seems to have fluffed out much better. ALso seems to be up and walking around normally! Also, he/she had a nice normal bowel movement today. :) I think he/she is in the clear.

I was thinking about it and realized that when I was helping the zip and removing the chick from the membrane/egg, that the chicks body was up in the part of the egg that should have been the air sack and there was ALOT of free space down where his/her feet were in the pointy side of the egg. Maybe the air sack was on the wrong end of the egg? I did not candle that particular egg. These are black Orpingtons and the egg shell was dark brown so I only candled a few as I could not see well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. chickencrazy999

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    Awww How sweet this is great you saved this little guy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by