Yellow foam? in bunny cage

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by LaynaDon95, Jan 21, 2012.

1. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    I'm not sure what it is but twice now I've gone to clean out my bunnies cage and have found yellowish brown gooey foam in the pan. I know rabbits can't throw up, so what is this? There is poop also that looks perfectly normal. I've never seen this before. Any ideas? I can't find anything about it online.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Could she be dehydrated?

3. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    what re you feeding them? do they have access to clean water 24/7 do they get hay? if so what kind of hay?

I have had my rabbits for years and I have never seen yellow foam, I feed mine rabbit pellets(alfalfa) and meadow hay which they have access to all the time. at night they get romaine lettuce and once a week some apple slices. nothing else. I do not give them carrots cause well believe it or not carrots are not that good for them, in small amounts not a big deal, they might get a slice of carrot once every 2 weeks. A good balanced pellet feed and hay is all they really need to be healthy and happy, and lots of running room for exercise.

4. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    I went to check this morning and upon further inspection (and light) It's more mucusy, not foamy. But it is yellowish brown.
    His water is always full. He get Lonestar show pellets (that's what he came with, and we haven't bought anything else yet.) And whatever other scraps we have that apply to this list (He is a Holland Lop)

Vegetables
    Cucumber
    Celery
    Alfalfa, radish & clover sprouts
    Basil
    Beet greens (tops)*
    Bok choy
    Broccoli (mostly leaves/stems)*
    Brussels sprouts
    Carrot tops*

Cilantro Clover
    Collard greens*
    Dandelion greens and flowers (no pesticides)*
    Endive*
    Escarole
    Green peppers
    Kale (!)*
    Mint
    Mustard greens*
    Pea pods (the flat edible kind)*
    Peppermint leaves
    Raddichio
    Radish tops
    Raspberry leaves
    Romaine lettuce (no iceberg or light colored leaf)*
    Spinach (!)*
    Watercress*
    Wheat grass
    Parsley*
    Zucchini

Fruit

Bananas
    Apple
    Papaya
    Strawberries
    Craisins
    Carrots (too high in sugar to count as a vegetable)*

Hay

Timothy*

(!)=Use sparingly
    *At least one of these daily

5. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    Are you sure it's not just urine? It's not abnormal for rabbits to have calcium crystals in their urine which will cause the urine to be a cloudy yellow. It's not normally a problem, although some rabbits will have problems with "urine sludging" where it forms a sludge in the bladder and can cause infections or urethral blockages, especially in males. If it's particularly cold, maybe the urine is freezing or partially freezing and causing it to appear foamy? The veggies you are feeding sound good, maybe try to encourage water intake by offering a little bit more of the leafy greens?

6. Me & Jack

Me & Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    NC
    As a long-time rabbit owner I have never seen anything that resembles a mucous/foam poop. Never seen rabbit vomit, either. So, not sure if I'm qualified to comment on it but it doesn't sound "normal" to me. Could be a sign of cocci? How old is your bunny? Are you feeding too many water-filled foods with all the leaves, etc.? I would try sticking to the pellets and hay only for a week or so and see if it clears up a bit.

7. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    I honestly don't know... I could post a pic if you wanted but it looks really gross. He's acting normal. I let him out on the porch and he hopped around energetically. He even chased my my pet chicken. lol It doesn't seem to be causing him problems I'd just like to know what it is.

8. chinbunny2

chinbunny2 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2012
    stop feeding the veggies. that could be cause of the problem. Feed pellets, water, and hay, and see if it clears up. If it doesn't, he may have some coccidia going on.

9. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Coccidia would cause blood in his poop though and it doesn't have any. his poop looks perfectly normal. Also, something I forgot to mention, I've found it in the same corner both times. We have a blanket on the north side of his cage to protect him from the harsher winds at night. He sometimes goes to that corner, pulls in the blanket and chews it to bits. The goo is usually mixed with bits of blanket fluff.

Why would veggies cause this? Aren't rabbits mostly herbivores anyway?

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA

Yep..bet its just urine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by