Yellow foamy poo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by meriruka, Feb 26, 2008.

1. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Sorry for the title. My partridge silkie hen had some crusty stuff around her nose and was sneezing, I brought her inside and cleaned off her nose holes and she perked up a bit and hasn't sneezed in a while. Now she's pooing yellow milky stuff. She's eating, and occasionally taking water, her abdomen is soft. Anyone know what is going on?
    Thanks!

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Hey, i just noticed that in my little girl.

3. meriruka

Oct 18, 2007
    I'm really nervous about it. There are some really knowledgable (can't spell) members in this forum, I hope one stops by........We need a screaming 'help me' smiley.

4. brooster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Hey, put "HELP ME" in the title line people will look, no one wants to look at runny yellow foamy poop [​IMG] Or "Free Incubator" that will get in views! [​IMG]

5. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    Have you been feeding her treats lately?

6. meriruka

Oct 18, 2007
    A few sunflower seeds this morning and 2 baby spinach leaves a few hours ago. Would that cause yellow poop?

I wouldn't want to risk a horde of angry BYCers when they found out there was no incubator...yikes! How about "NO pics" in the title?

7. brooster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    i feed mine a little lettuce and cucumber pellings this morning.

8. airmom1c05

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    Sometimes mine get the squirts after Romaine lettuce and runny poo. It doesn't last long, but it's foul. (No pun intended.) If your hen is eating her balanced diet and drinking water, she may improve quickly if you keep her quiet and calm. I hope so for both your sakes. I would just keep her on her layer feed for at least a week and maybe offer her a handful of layer pellets by hand. If she's like mine, since you've spoiled her to treats like I did mine, she's so used to eating treats out of your hand that she will think the pellets are treats! I think yogurt helps their stomachs, though. I wish someone would confirm that. My birds won't eat it unless I mix it into a small amount of cooked oatmeal. If her condition doesn't improve pretty quick, you might try that if you have some oatmeal and yogurt on hand unless someone much wiser than me (which would be just about anyone on this forum) tells you otherwise. If she will eat plain yogurt without the oatmeal, that would probably be better IMO. How is she doing right now?

9. meriruka

Oct 18, 2007
    She's sleeping now. I'll try the yogurt tomorrow with a little oatmeal. I think just being inside and warm is helping, her nose isn't crusting back up and the sneezing is infrequent. The poo thing worries me, she didn't lay her egg today, so I wonder if what is coming out was supposed to be an egg but because she's sick, it didn't form correctly. I should have gone to vetinary (sp?) school but I'm too old for a career change . Oh well. Thanks for your help airmom!

10. airmom1c05

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    Don't mention it. You'd do the same for me. That's what this forum is all about - caring and sharing. There's so much love, sympathy, and empathy here among us chicken lovers. Better tomorrow. God bless.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by