Yellow, foamy poop. Coccidiosis?

Chickengirl209

Songster
May 30, 2022
Pennsylvania, USA
I have been finding a good many of these types of poos. I am worried that it may be Coccidiosis. I have 16 chicks, I find about 3 or 4 of these poos a day. They are a week old. I have been feeding them medicated chick feed. (It doesn't say what it medicates for, though.)

Also note: these poops fizz out/unbubble when they are on a material that absorbs wetness (i.e. pine shavings, towel.) or if is under a heat source (like the heat lamp.)

They are very alert and active, and are escape artists. The only two that show anything other than full health is one chick who is a bit smaller than the others and whose wings are very undeveloped compared to the others (she only has her second row, and they are very small.) The other chick I have had to clean poop off of her bum three times. (I was worried it could turn into pasty butt.) Thankfully I have not had to do it for the past 4 days. This chick is more sleepy, even if they are outside. She kinda sleeps standing. She does run around still, though. Just takes extra naps.

The chick I got this lovely specimen from (LOL) seems to be in full health. Her wings are the most developed, and is continuously flying around the brooder and trying to escape. (With how active and developed it is, I think it might be a rooster, but who knows?)
What do you all think? Is this a first sign of something?
Thank you! :)

@Kiki
@U_Stormcrow
@nuthatched
@Eggcessive

Attachments

• 1679619163300.jpeg
    1679619163300.jpeg
    47.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
How old are they? If you worry about coccidiosis, treat with Corid (amprollium) for 5-7 days. Dosage is 2 tsp per gallon of water as the only source, or if using the powder use 1.5 tsp per gallon. Give no b vitamins while on Corid. Coccidiosis symptoms are runny poops, lethargy, poor appetite, and standing around hunched or puffed up.

How old are they? If you worry about coccidiosis, treat with Corid (amprollium) for 5-7 days. Dosage is 2 tsp per gallon of water as the only source, or if using the powder use 1.5 tsp per gallon. Give no b vitamins while on Corid. Coccidiosis symptoms are runny poops, lethargy, poor appetite, and standing around hunched or puffed up.
They are one week old.
I have not noticed any with poor appitites. There have been some runny poops. Only one has stood around kind of hunched (It looks like it's sleeping standing, that's the one I mentioned above.)

Also, if it helps at all, these poops fizz out/unbubble when they are on a material that absorbs wetness (i.e. pine shavings, towel.) or if is under a heat source (like the heat lamp.)
I have also been feeding them medicated chick feed, although I do not know what it medicates for.

With Corid, I looked it up and all of them advertise for cattle. Is that ok to give them?

Last edited:
Q: Would the yellow poos be in older than a week birds or younger than a week birds?
They have been having this for a week. (They are 8 days now.)
Uh... not sure actually? I assume that chickens of all ages have about 10% of their poops as cecals, so if you're seeing about that much of the foamy yellow/orangish poop, that's what you're looking at.

Coccidiosis does not always show up in poop but when it does it is very obvious - looks like a dark bloody splatter. And the bird(s) will definitely be lethargic.

It doesn't harm them to treat for coccidiosis if you are uncertain, but from all your descriptions of age, poop and behavior I still think it's unlikely that's an issue right now.

Back
Top Bottom