yellow foamy poop? what's up?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickadee007, Oct 27, 2016.

1. chickadee007

chickadee007 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2015
    Waynesville, Ohio
    My Coop
    I have a Brahma that hasn't left the coop for 3 days. I just noticed her poop is yellow and foamy. It looks like the lighter stuff is where it has dried.
    Any idea what is wrong with her?[​IMG]

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Can you take that chicken to a vet?

It's possible she an internal layer and maybe has egg yolk peritonitis (EYP). She could also have worms.

When was the last time she laid an egg? Any symptoms of lethargy, going off food/water, hunching, or puffing?

When was the last time you treated your birds for parasites?

MrsB

3. chickadee007

Feb 7, 2015
    Waynesville, Ohio
    My Coop
    I don't have a chicken vet.
    She layed a soft shell egg several days ago and hasn't come out of the coop then
    I've never treated them. I only have 2 girls that free range around my house

4. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Foamy, yellow poop can be a sign of EYP/bacterial infection, worms, or kidney failure.

Taking a fecal sample to a vet (any old vet will do - just say you need the test results, not treatment) for a float test would rule out any kind of parasite infestation.

Blood work would be ideal... just say you need a diagnosis, not treatment. Most vets will be willing to help you.

I can't comment on cost, but I hope they wouldn't be ridiculous about it (maybe even do it for free!).

I am very sorry for your troubles... Is she still drinking?

If I were you, I'd move her to a crate in your bathroom or a garage - keep it dim and warm for her... Monitor her water intake. If she stops drinking, you will need to tube fluids to keep her hydrated through treatment.

MrsB

5. chickadee007

Feb 7, 2015
    Waynesville, Ohio
    My Coop
    This morning she came out to eat some sunflower seeds. Looked like she was straining, or bearing down several times. She would sit and pick through the mulch rather than stand.
    I thought it might be egg binding. I put her in a bath of warm water, checked her vent but i could feel no egg. I tried several times, only a little bit of green poop came out.
    I wonder now if it is EYP. If it is what can I do for her?

6. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    If it's EYP, that can be treated with Bactrim, which you can order online. But the real issue is what's causing the EYP... and that's internal laying, which can be a life-long issue for a chicken.

MrsB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by