Yellow Gold Pheasant's First Egg!...Dec 9th?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by PeepsInc, Dec 9, 2009.

1. PeepsInc

PeepsInc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    NY Tri State region
    I know pheasants,like ducks have a short laying season. My hen pheasant laid her first egg today Dec 9, 09. There from a late Jan 09 hatch. My male hasn't even come into full color yet,so there's little chance of fertility?(the egg was cracked anyways). Is it normal for young hens to lay this time of year in the North East? I had a chicken hatch out eggs, 3 days ago. So I guess stranger things have happened. Could this be happening because of the red lights I leave on in the building they all share(in separate pens)? Or is it normal?

2. Birdman18

Birdman18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Oh Wow, yeah i bet she layed the egg because of the red lights. Normally this wouldn't happen if their were no lights on.

3. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    No,that is not normal.The red light,is that a heat light?The male may be fertile,he just doesn't get his color until the 2nd year,but is fertile the 1st year.What other breeds do you raise?
    in N.H.,Tony.

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:HUH?

5. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    I Have 2 Trios Of Ringnecks That Have Been (and Still Are Laying) For About A Month Now. These Are 2 Yr Old Breeders And The Eggs Are Fertile( Have 10 Pipping As We Type..) Seems Way Late In The Season To Me, But Whatever..... Not Like There's An Off Switch On Any Of Them. [​IMG]

6. Birdman18

Birdman18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Quote:HUH?

[​IMG] What were you Huh about ? I was trying to say that normally they wouldnt lay eggs unless they were given lights.

7. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    I Just Never Heard Of Red Lights Triggering The Laying Process--- Maybe I'm Wrong But It Was Always My Belief The Light Had To Be More Visible, Like Sunlight--- Incandescent Or Flourescent To Trigger Them To Lay.

8. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I think he's talking about a heat light.Which is not good for your birds.
    In N.H.,Tony.

9. oleduke

oleduke Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2008
    WV
    Quote:This is exactly what I was referring to when I was asking about Golden's coming into season early this year. We have since had a lot of weather below freezing, so the males have calmed down. I didn't have to separate any (which is very good) but I was worried for a while.

My Ring-neck breeders are not laying nor is the male courting the females but hats off to JJMR for an "early" or "late" season [​IMG]

10. PeepsInc

PeepsInc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    NY Tri State region
    Actually My coup is a 12 x 12 with 3- 2'x4' pens that run along 2 walls. I have 2 red stage lights in 2 separate pens. They produce a warmth for some younger birds I have. The pheasant are in the 3rd pen with a separate outdoor run. I'll put the next one in the bator just to see what happens. Whats it gonna hurt? I'm already up to my elbows in chicks,thanks to those broody's. Anybody want some day olds?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by