1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

yellow golden hydrid??

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by pheasant24, Aug 23, 2010.

1. pheasant24

pheasant24 Songster

May 31, 2010
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Is it possible to have a lady amherst yellow golden hybrid?
    I have a male yellow that has those green scales on its breast like a lady amherst!

2. turkaholic

turkaholic Songster

Jan 2, 2010
    Maryland
    Yes it is, and you have the proof!
    Yellow goldens are mutations of the golden pheasant (red is the norm) and can very easily hybridize with the Amherst. DO NOT USE THIS BIRD FOR BREEDING!!!!!!!!
    You will contaminate endless lines with more mixed blood if they get out into the breeding circle. God knows, the Goldens and Amherst lines don't need any more of that.
    Keep him separate as a pet, or cull him when he gets full feathered. Taxidermists will pay $$ for a nice bird.

3. Tony K T

Tony K T Crowing

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Well said Turkaholic.Now if we can get everyone to think this way,we can save our pheasants for years to come.
    In N.H.,Tony.

4. Omani

Omani Songster

Aug 10, 2009
    Machias,NY
    Could you please elaborate? What's wrong with the pheasant strains out there now? I've only had a pair of red goldens for five days.
    Thanks.

5. pheasant24

pheasant24 Songster

May 31, 2010
    Kalamazoo, MI
    ok thanks!

6. wpalmisano

wpalmisano Songster

Aug 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    I was at the local livestock auction last night and sometimes some odd pheasants show up. Tonight there were something called red golden pheasants and mixed ring neck strains. There were a couple of yellows, and some common ring necks. They are all mixed up. People were paying crazy prices. I prefer common ring necks but lost two roosters to a raccoon and picked up these black ring necks in July. Two roosters and one hen. They are black like a crow, with white around their necks. Really pretty birds. Since the common ring neck is not a "breed" but a mixture of many breeds, its not so bad. Ornamental birds however, are different. I empathize with you, I feel the same way about my Bobwhite quail. I don't want some odd birds showing up in my breeding stock.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  7. Charliet

Charliet away

Apr 8, 2010
    macon GA
    Edited by Staff. Please stay on topic and stay calm. Thanks.

8. Quote:Red Goldens are probably about the second most common pheasant in captivity after ringnecks.

[​IMG]

9. wpalmisano

wpalmisano Songster

Aug 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    Yea, I'm not real strong with the ornamental breeds, although I know there are a few running wild here and there. In the auction, some of the desription read "cross"I refer to any any non ring neck as "ornamental." I know they are hunted in some places. I mostly breed quail, and try to maintain pure Eastern Bobwhite ( Northerns ) Mostly I am interested in the hunting breeds. Here we have raccoons, copious amounts of coyotes, very large, bobcats, black bear, and various other critters. Then add in hawks, owls and such. If an odd gene were to get into some birds and they were to "mingle" with our native Bobwhites, they wouldn't last five minutes especially if they were weak flyers or bright white. This results in wasted energies for the wild birds trying to breed. As it is, under the best of conditions, they only last a few weeks. A few make it through though. I was just making the point about the hybrids, meant no offense.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by