yellow goop in eyes and nose

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by alln7220, Sep 7, 2010.

1. alln7220

alln7220 Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2010
    i have two chickens that have yellow goop coming out of their eyes and nose. this just came up overnight. they were completely fine yesterday. what could this be and what should i do? should i quarentine them from the rest of my flock? I have about 25 birds in my coop and the two that are sick are my leg horn rooster and my barred rock hen. Please help before my other chickens get sick too....[​IMG]

2. jessaw1981

jessaw1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    yes you need to seperate them quick. hope someone elts chimes in to help. I would say antibotic.

3. alln7220

May 3, 2010
    they are by themselvs, now what. i have to order meds. will it be to late

4. Ivyblaze

Ivyblaze Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Quarantine them first of all for a minimum of 2-3 weeks...
    Second sounds like an upper respiratory infection....this can be treated with Tylan 50, Baytril and or Pennicilan.
    These meds you can get from a large animal vet or from Atwoods or any other feed store.
    The dosage for tylan 50 for standard size bird is 1/2cc can be injected or given orally. Not sure what the dosage is on the other two meds. Hope this helps.
    Disclaimer-- I am not a vet and any and all action on your part with antibiotics is yours alone.

5. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Does the yellow "goop" smell bad? If so it could by Coryza - keep them isolated and treat with a Tetracyline based antibiotic in any case. Normally any discharge from a cold should not smell bad - fingers crossed for you that it isn't Coryza!

Suzie

6. alln7220

May 3, 2010
    we added some vitamins to their water yesterday. both birds already seem to be getting better and acting normal again. i hope it is just a cold. we did go from 90f to 50f overnight.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

First of all, chickens do not get colds as such. They get diseases that make them carriers and able to infect others, even when they seem to recover. Antibiotics will not fix their carrier status. Yellow gunk is bad, IMO. I've never seen it here and it would mean something pretty serious to me. My course of action would be to cull since some diseases can be passed through the egg to the chicks. My birds have gone through many temperature extremes and never have had discharges like you describe. Healthy birds can handle temp changes fine.

Please read here:

http://www.welphatchery.com/poultry_health.asp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by