1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Yellow Goopy Poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by luvliebee, Jul 30, 2014.

1. luvliebee

luvliebee In the Brooder

Jul 7, 2014
    Union, Missouri
    My Coop
    One of our hens, a year old Australorp, just today had had goopy yellow poop stuck to her bottom. I wiped her off this afternoon. She was very easy to catch, not normal. We came home tonight she was under the coop, laying on the ground. Again she was easy to catch and we put her in the coop.

She is usually very mobile and active. As second in command in our flock of four, she is unusually quiet.

We are worried.

Also, can this spread to our other chickens or to us?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  2. I'm not sure, but maybe this is from worms?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Have you added any new birds recently where coccidiosis might be a problem? The symptoms are standing puffed up, poor appetite, diarrhea (sometimes with blood,) ruffled feather. Corid (amprollium) from the feed store cattle aisle is the treatment. Worms may be the more likely problem. Treating with SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or Valbazen 1/2 ml orally, then repeat in 10 days is the treatment. Toss eggs for a total of 24 days.

4. luvliebee

luvliebee In the Brooder

Jul 7, 2014
    Union, Missouri
    My Coop
    All 4 of our birds are from the same farm.

Toss eggs once medication is started? Or all eggs total?

We have only had them for a little over a week and were getting good eggs (7 so far) from both of our Australorps, but we have not eaten any of them yet.

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Toss eggs after the first worming dose to 14 days after the last dose--total of 24 days. There is no egg withdrawal for Corid.

6. luvliebee

luvliebee In the Brooder

Jul 7, 2014
    Union, Missouri
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Thanks for all the information.

We lost Ethel last night.

RIP Ethel 8/12/2014

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011