Yellow Hungarian Updates

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by call ducks, Aug 20, 2011.

1. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Hey all been a long time...

I have lost a pair... so that leaves me with 1 hen and 2 roosters. I had the option to get rid of one of the roosters monday.... but with my luck the other one would die the next day. The pullet maybe laying i am not certin.

The hen looks small and has a small build ( reminds me of a laghorn a bit) but is heafty when picked up. Also she does not a have a normal comb. It has 3 points and binds in a few locations. The roosters have 5-7 points and are normalish.

They seem to lay an very odd egg, it's something about there shell.

The Yellow Hungarians are a "gold mine" of gene's. There breeding at one point (40-30) years ago was randomized matting (lots of roosters to lots of hens) so i just need to sort though the genes and get the ones i want (no microscope just hatching). A Friend of mine is doing this with light sussex at the moment (Bred by the same prof). Lord knows what there is in them.

I well also be starting some recreation projects with them some time soon. After i decide if i well need a rooster or a hen for the projects (also have to nail down the breeds)

There are none in the US yet. But i am working on getting some down there some time. I just need more then one hen to do it! i well be hatching 20-30 chicks next year, and keeping 5-10 pullets and maybe one rooster. Although they are exellent foragers!

As a side note, i have two little Yellow H. Black cochin crosses out there. They are super smart! they well get out of there pen within 5 min everyday! and are waiting there every nigh for me to catch them (the've got me trained, but they are soo cute).

Any ways thats the little update for now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by