Yellow infection in eye, making hen blind, HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by horsekrazy74, Dec 7, 2011.

1. horsekrazy74

horsekrazy74 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    My hen has a nasty infection in her eye its yellow and oozing and WAS covering half her eye.. well the other day we picked her up and cleaned out the infection, BEYOND NASTY! Well, today i managed to catch her and I realized that the infection has covered her entire eye and has made her blind in one eye.

Anyone have any idea what it could be?
    Also, shes a silkie hen.. But she always smells horrendous when you get around her, I have washed her numerous times and it never goes away.. Im wondering if it has to do with the infection in her body

This was when the infection was in her nose, but we gave her antibiotics for two weeks and it cleared up, but now that yellow stuff is covering her entire eye.. any idea what this is! I dont need a half blind chicken!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please please let me know of anything this could be!
    --Katherine

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Sounds like infectious coryza. I am sorry your hen is sick. Isolate her. Do a search on coryza. You may want to put her down.

3. horsekrazy74

Apr 5, 2010
    Shes had this infection for about 6 months

4. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    Due to the smell you describe, it sounds like Infectious Coryza... If it is, she may or may not get better BUT she will infect the rest of the flock!! This is a carrier type disease and she will be contagious until the day she dies... If you cull her, disinfect anything she has come into contact with (including yourself) and watch the rest of your flock closely for similar symptoms.. Cull as necessary.. If you do not cull her, you are risking the rest of your flock and will need to keep a completely closed flock (none in, none out!)...

Goddess [​IMG]

5. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

Quote:Thats exactly what it is... its highly contagious and takes a very long time to run its course.. also she will remain a carrier after shes better and puts any other chickens at risk. If you dont plan on having other chickens and shes an "only child" I'd doctor her and try and help her but if you have others and plan on getting others I'd put her down.. sorry bout you hen [​IMG]

6. pamperedpoultry

Quote:good info.. Everything she's come into contact will need to be disinfected...

7. horsekrazy74

Apr 5, 2010
    Hmmm.. Shes been with my other chickens for about 8 months or so and none have ever shown any signs of it. About a month ago I ask stuck two chicks under her so she'd stop being broody, I hope its not going to infect my other 7 hens!

8. pamperedpoultry

Quote:did you have her before your others or get them around the same time.. It may be that your others are already carriers and she got it from them? not sure on the chicks?

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Here's a link to respiratory diseases in poultry. You can scroll down and read about Infectious Coryza if you wish.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    I echo what others have stated regarding your silkie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by