Yellow iris turning red and extremely lethargic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cellomama2, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Cellomama2

Cellomama2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2017
    Wisconsin
    Went out to check on the girls and found one of my ISA Browns sleeping, standing up, on the ground. She is also not one to be held but isn't even fighting to get away when I pick her up. When she opened her eyes there was a red ring around the outside of her golden yellow iris that looks like its working it way in towards the pupal. Shes just over 20 weeks, has not started laying and there is the possibility of Marek's in our flock but with Marek's it says the eyes turn grey so any ideas? I'll try to get a better picture later when I have some help holding her.

Attached Files:

BYCforlife likes this.
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks more to me like conjunctivitis, especially with the foam in the eye. That can be a sign of mycoplasma (MG) a respiratory sinus infection. It is a diseases that is contagious and can make carriers. But I would also try to rule out a peck in the eye. Of course, if there is some labored breathing, sneezing, or noisy breathing, then I would figure it is MG. You can confirm it with testing by contacting your NPIP, county extension agent, state vet, or a poultry vet. Tylan 50 injectable is good to give ORALLY and you can get it at feed stores. Pick up syringes with 20 gauge needles to draw it up, and remove the needle before giving it by mouth. Dosage is 0.2 ml per pound, so get a rough weight. A 5 pounder would get 1 ml twice a day for 5 days. That may help symptoms but won't affect her from being a carrier. However, most of the flock probably was exposed at the same time she was. Here is some reading:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/disea...tion-mg-chronic-respiratory-disease-chickens/

3. Cellomama2

Jun 11, 2017
    Wisconsin
    So I checked again just to make sure but she doesn't have any discharge from the eyes or nose. I go a much better picture after separating her and I gave her an oral dosage of nutri-drench. She seems to be getting weaker pretty fast so hopefully she makes it through the night. IMG_20171012_203627273.jpg IMG_20171012_203637810.jpg

Attached Files:

4. Cellomama2

Jun 11, 2017
    Wisconsin
    Sorry, I'm trying to do this from my phone instead of my computer and it's just weird.

5. Cellomama2

Jun 11, 2017
    Wisconsin
    She died last night but I'd still really like to have an idea of whats going on here.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Oh no, I am so sorry that you lost her. The second pictures looked so different from the first ones. I suspect she had some sort of brain bleed or hemorrhage. It would be interesting to get a necropsy done if you refrigerated her body and shipped it to your state vet. If you do so, let us know here what is found. I cannot say it wasn't Mareks, but I have lost 2 dogs over the years with a similar hemorrhage in the eye. One had a grand mal seizure after he developed the eye redness. In the link below there is contact info for your state vet or poultry lab if you want a necropsy:
    http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by