1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Yellow jackets in coop

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by flowergirl60, Mar 19, 2011.

1. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    I have yellow jacket trying to make a nest in my coop. Any suggestion on how to get rid of them w/o harming my chickens.

2. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    You can find baited, hanging traps. They have a pheromone in them, in a little vile. Good luck!

3. irisheyes

irisheyes Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2010
    Wait until night time and throw a half cup of 7 dust on the nest , the bees will take it inside and :)kill every thing in it.. I have killed two full blown hives this way and didnt not get stung once. [​IMG][​IMG]

4. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Yes, wait until night time to kill them. They will protect their nest during the daylight by stinging the mess out of you and the birds. At night they don't move around, get them then. Yellow jackets can sting repeatedly unlike bees who only can sting one time, and trust me they hurt like CRAZY for hours afterwards!

Edited because i typed "stinK" rather than sting [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Yes, wait until after dark. Then thoroughly smash nest knocking it down so birds can eat larva. This time of year only queens will be adult. I like to smash them with modest taps using rubber mallet.

6. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Am I confused?? I have only heard of jellow jackets having their nests in the ground! Or are we talking about something different here??? [​IMG]

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Most of time nests in ground although maybe in above ground if suitable cavity present. OP may actually / very likely be referring to some of the paper wasps that in coloration superficially resemble yellow jackets.

Yellow Jacket
    [​IMG]

Paper wasp
    [​IMG]

Ideally images would show same point of view so OP can determine what critter is present.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  8. clayhill

clayhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Lee County, Arkansas
    I use a spray of 10% Permethrin, mix 1 oz. per gallon of water. Spray inside of coop ceiling, floors, walls, etc. This will keep wasps from building nests and also help prevent any mites from infecting your birds. Got a quart bottle from Farmer's Co-op for about $20. Also helps control mosquitoes somewhat.

This is the same thing (and mix) that I use on my garden for insects. Also spray my dogs with it once a month to prevent fleas and ticks! Works great and a quart goes a long way.[​IMG]

9. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to get them little @#**. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by