Yellow jackets - threats or treats?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by swordgeek, Aug 31, 2010.

1. swordgeek

swordgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Westford, MA
    There are soooo many yellow jackets hanging around the ground this time of year, we're all having to watch where we step. Nasty things. And of course, they're hanging around the fruit in the chicken run. The chickens are going crazy chasing them around, and I've seen them pick off a few of them. Now that I think about it, it seems that I usually see a whole lot more of them around than I have this season, so they're probably eating a lot of them. Good girls!

Question is, is there anything wrong with chickens eating bees and wasps? Does the venom pass into them? And do chickens ever get stung? The idea of having to rub a baking soda paste on a chicken just doesn't appeal to me one bit. I draw the line at Vaseline in winter.

2. FourPawz

FourPawz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Virginia
    I've read accounts of guineas, at least, actually standing at the yellow jacket hole to pick off the buggers as they fly out of the nest. The birds are completely unharmed.

3. swordgeek

Jun 23, 2010
    Westford, MA
    No chance of them getting stung on the legs or feet? That would be such a relief!

4. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Threats to you; treats to the chickens. Yummy, calcium. [​IMG]

5. FourPawz

FourPawz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Virginia
    I'm not going to say the bees couldn't sting a bird, but most birds are too fast for the insects to nail them. The bees don't sting on the way down the hatch, however [​IMG]

6. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I wouldn't worry about them too much. Your birds could be stung around the face or feet but probably not on the feathered parts. I think the wasps have more to worry about. Wasps typically only sting to defend the nest and most nests are out of the reach of chickens. What your birds can catch should be considered free protein.

7. swordgeek

Jun 23, 2010
    Westford, MA
    Thanks, folks. I feel so much better about it. [​IMG] Now if I could just lure my girls onto the driveway... LOTS of treats there right now. Crunchy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by