Yellow Labrador Owners - What color are your dog's foot pads?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by wordgirl, Jan 12, 2011.

1. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    I have a purebred yellow labrador retriever who is about eight months old. When he was little, his paw-pads were black. Maybe not coal-black, but they were definitely dark. Now, his paw pads are a pinkish, neutral color that sort of matches his hair color. Well, not the same color as the hair, but it's not a contrasting color.

Are your lab's paws this way? I guess I had expected them to stay dark. Or something...not really this color. His eye rims are dark brown, near black, and his nose is black, though a little bit on the top of it has turned lighter during the winter.

2. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Dog thought I was going after her nails [​IMG]

They are a light beige color, and reddish pink in the creases. However, she's a Dudley...everything on her is pink [​IMG]

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Mine's a mix, but mostly yellow Lab.
    His nose is pink and his paw pads are kinda neutral color - beige I guess. The skin on his belly seems to kinda change color. It was really pink looking when we got him, but now it's not so bright. Not sure if it was because of the change in diet (from Pedigree to raw diet) or what.

4. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    Sam has beige feet and a pink nose and a pink tummy. He's getting old though and has a white ruff. Best dog we ever had. He is definitely the alpha animal on the place. Had to neuter our Chug cause the lab was gonna kill the little beastie if he didn't accept 2nd place. Now we have peace and everybody stands back and lets Sam rule.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    LOL, so far you have had only replies from dudley-nose lab owners (self included)... that is relevant if yours is TOO, but if yours has a proper black nose then you need to specifically ask BLACK-NOSED lab owners about their footpads.

My husband has had a number of proper black-nosed yellow labs in past years but says he does not remember about the footpads.

(edited to add: does anyone happen to know WHY the pink nose is called a dudley nose?)

Pat

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  6. booker81

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Hee hee, gotta love the Dudleys! (I know we love ours, "mistakes" and all...)

[​IMG]

7. booker81

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Quote:Something to do with the Earl of Dudley? Something to do with breeding bulldogs with that pigment trait. I think. Don't hold me to it.

[​IMG]

8. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Ours was odd, in the summer, her nose was blackest black. In the winter, her nose became a more pink color. She had a beige color to her footpads as well.

9. keithallen1965

keithallen1965 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    conroe
    I raise labs and if the nose is a true black then the pads should be black as well! At this time I dont have a Yellow to show you. You can go check it out at the AKC website.[​IMG]

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:"winter nose"

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by