yellow legged rooster, with red stripes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mrs. K, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    The yellow legs have a red strip running up the leg and down to between the toes.The whole leg is not red, just a strip. Could it just be a coloration? He is a delaware, and the pictures I see are solid yellow legs. The delaware chickens I have do not have this red strip.

It does not look like the pictures of scaly mites. The scales are tight to the leg. But it does look more like it is chapped and perhaps sore. He does not act sick or lame at all..... and none of the other birds have it. With mites, if there is a mite that does this, the other hens would be getting this surely.

I am going to buy some bag balm and put that on them, unless someone else has so other advice?

This is a new one on me, and I have had birds for years now.
    Any ideas?

Mrs K

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Save your money. It's a sign that spring is just around the corner and your roosters hormones are flowing...this is normal.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    hahahaha - I would never have guessed! thanks, yep, he is finally coming into his own! He was hatched in early June, and very slow to mature.

Ok, I have not done anything, because, he has not acted a bit sick or a bit lame, and nothing else has it....... but it seemed to be getting redder.

Good grief! I have not felt this silly, since my BA hen crowed....

Mrs K

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    LOL, dont worry about it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by