Yellow legs, hard to breed out?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by onthespot, Apr 25, 2009.

  1. onthespot

    onthespot Deluxe Dozens

    7,187
    22
    271
    Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Are yellow legs and feet dominant or recessive? How hard are they to breed out? Do they contintue to be expressed more and more weakly as the generations come one after the other, or is it one generation, over and out? Does it pop back up later in another generation? Thanks for any help.
     
  2. blackdotte

    blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

    786
    12
    131
    Nov 18, 2008
    Yellow is recessive, mated to a white shanked birds all will have white shanks but carry the yellow gene. These birds mated together will give 25% yellow shanked birds, the other 75% will be white shanked, but only 33% will be pure white shanked, the remainder will have white shanks but carry the yellow gene.
    So unless you test mate your birds to a yellow shanked bird and get no yellow shanked chicks out of a minimum of 25, you will still have yellow shanks popping up.
    David
     
    1 person likes this.
  3. Mahonri

    Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

    30,361
    159
    446
    May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    learn something new everyday.
     
  4. Henk69

    Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

    1,759
    37
    183
    Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Yellow legs also behave like white legs in a cross with dark legs. White legs being dominant.
     
  5. DTchickens

    DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

    4,394
    33
    253
    Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    if you want a chart of what color legs bred over what produces.. i could send it to ya, just email me.
     
  6. ceadar post

    ceadar post Chillin' With My Peeps

    199
    0
    119
    Feb 10, 2009
    Seymour,WI.
    Henk69 is this meaning that a yellow legged bird bred to color legged bird will give you yellow? Or anyone please reply.
     
  7. Henk69

    Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

    1,759
    37
    183
    Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    No, they would be white... [​IMG]
     
  8. onthespot

    onthespot Deluxe Dozens

    7,187
    22
    271
    Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    If yellow is recessive, and you bred to a slate colored bird, the first generation would have all slate legs. Bred together, or back to a yellow legged bird, second generation would show some yellow trait, most likely combined with the slate, which would give you greenish looking legs, (willlow?) and some would be just slate, carrying the yellow gene but not showing it, because it needs to get a copy from each parent, and some would be slate and not carrying yellow, but like the other poster said, you would have to test breed to find out who carries what... Hmmmmmm..... I see a lot of chicks and test breedings in my future next year I hope... and another couple years to work on type. THEN I can blow my own socks off with a one of a kind beautiful chicken! [​IMG]
     
  9. flyingmonkeypoop

    flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

    3,592
    121
    268
    Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    But remember there is also sexlinkage with the leg color. Dark legged cocks bred to light legged hens gives a sexlinked leg color where the cockerels will be light legged and the pullets dark legged.
     
  10. rodriguezpoultry

    rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

    10,918
    95
    331
    Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Interesting....I must have a genetic anomaly!

    Light Brahma cock x Buff Orpington Pullet:
    [​IMG]
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by