yellow lump in eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Fothers, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Fothers

Fothers New Egg

Dec 14, 2011
    Hi all, A couple of months ago my chook developed an infection in her left eye. I couldn't see the eyeball at all. There was very little pus, but a lot of watery fluid she kept wiping on her flanks. She was obviously uncomfortable and the whole eyeball area swelled up to the size of a small marble. I kept washing it with saline solution and eventually a fairly hard yellow lump showed. I managed to push a fair amount of it out and the infection, or whatever it was, cleared up. Her eyeball 're-surfaced' though the iris looks cloudy and she doesn't react to movement on that side of her head so I don't think she sees much, if anything, from her left eye. However she seemed healthy and happy, eating and laying normally so all good.
    About 3 weeks ago I noticed the same symptoms developing in her right eye. I started washing immediately, this time applying colloidal silver twice a day. She also stopped eating so I force fed her some oats and yoghurt and water. Her eye hasn't swollen up and the eyeball is still clear though pushed forward by another similar yellowish lump. I've pushed the lump gently, but it won't dislodge and I'm nervous of damaging the eyeball. She's eating on her own again and very very chirpy/clucky (struggles and clucks as she doesn't really like having her eye washed) and her poops appear normal. I'm still keeping her isolated to protect her from the other chooks and because her depth perception is distorted.
    Can anybody tell me what might be wrong and how to treat it. It's not getting worse but not getting better either.
    [​IMG]

2. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Hello, Fothers, and welcome to BYC! I don't have any experience with eye problems, but it sounds like you've treated aggressively so far with the colloidal silver and other steps you've taken to get her to eat. Hopefully someone with more experience will come along soon.

3. Fothers

Fothers New Egg

Dec 14, 2011
    Thanks, appreciate the support.

4. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    I would add a systemic antibiotic ASAP. Tough to say which abx would be best. Something wide spectrum, maybe Denagard. Loosing sight in her only working eye would really suck.

Good Luck. I hope she heals fast.

5. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    P.S.
    [​IMG]

6. GoldenGirls

GoldenGirls New Egg

Jun 19, 2012
    I have an Americauna hen with the exact same symptoms. Over the course of the past 4 days she has developed a yellow lump in her eye. There is minimal puss or discharge, but the eye is watery, swollen, and clearly irritated. When you open her eye, you cannot actually see her eye, as the lump seems to be pushing it down.

She is currently on a broad spectrum antibiotic, and I flush the eye daily. Her depth perception is off and she is clearly timid to move around at all. She sleeps most of the day but will eat readily when I feed her and give her water by hand.

I haven't been able to find any information or guess on what it might be or how best to treat it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Blanch, Rose (The Rooster), and Dorothy would love to have Sophia back!

7. CHICKAMOM

CHICKAMOM New Egg

Sep 25, 2012
    Radway, Alberta, Canada
    I also have a girl with this problem. Her eye is watery and weaping a lot and dripping all over her feathers. There is a thick yellow "FILM" over her eye. I have tried to dislodge it with a moist Q-tip and flushing it with saline. But nothing is working. She is eating well and is still laying but her eye is quite swollen. I will try to get a couple pictures and post them.
    Any ideas/advice?

8. roxy farmer

roxy farmer New Egg

Aug 14, 2013
    Hello, im sorry to hear about all of your chickens, My chicken also has a yellow bump, strange, first it was on top of the eye now it has spread and she's blind in one eye! I've done some research that I hope will make this lump go away, Follow the instructions below

1.Gently wash the eye with luke warm water ( do NOT use cold water, it will irritate the eye )

2.use a damp cutup, or paper towel, and swirl it around in the eye to 'loosen it

3.wash it out about 1 to 2 times a day

4. make the chicken feel comfortable while doing this ( if you don't it will be sure to peck you and do anything to get away )

5. make sure when the bump clears up keep repeating instructions 1, 3, and 4 for about a week ( or it will come back because the virus is still there)

If the bump has NOT spread to the eye yet you're lucky, I would do these steps right away, before it spreads

I really hope it clears your chickens eye

God bless,

Roxy farmer [​IMG]

9. roxy farmer

roxy farmer New Egg

Aug 14, 2013
    I don't know if its too late but I have a solution

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by